Going to Florida in Nov. a few questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If so, that's one stupid cop trying something like that.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Back in the 80's and early 90's my dad worked with an undercover cop who would always wear a "The Police" t-shirt. You wouldn't believe how many arrests he made.

I didn't know I would offend people so much. And I'm surprised people are judging me so harshly because I smoke a bit of pot.

Dude, it's the internet. We not only have the option, but the DUTY, to become offended at anything and everything posted. How do you think that real internet ninja warriors are born?

Honestly, I see the problem is not that you occasionally smoke pot, but the lack of indiscretion in your post and your snarky response. Weed is still illegal in Florida, right or wrong, and can cause problems not just for you, but for others as well. Like I said above, enjoy your time in Florida, despite the experience on this thread, we're mostly friendly folks :wink:.

Thanks reefguy, that post wasn't the most intelligent thing I have ever said.

Last edited:
Again, for me, it wasn't about the Pot. I couldn't care less when it doesn't affect anyone else. But I'm reminded of a day in Key Largo on a boat I was captaining. We were in the preserve and a paying customer came up with the biggest conch shell I had ever seen. I told him before he even made it up the ladder, throw it over. "You can't keep it, toss it back in". He argued and refused to throw it over.

I explained to him and the crew that we would not be pulling anchor until the conch shell was no longer on my boat. We sat there for a good 5 minutes while he was peer pressured into agreement.

My license was neither cheap or easy. I'm not willing to risk it for you. You think the Coast Guard frowns on a conch shell in a preserve, how do you think they'll feel about some pot. And yes, we have found people with weed on the boat. It's really not cool.

20+ years ago I owned a construction company. Everyday at lunch time, 8 of us would load up in my van and drive to the nearest restaurant for lunch. One day a new guy asked his buddy, "hey do you got that blunt"? Surely I misheard him. So I said, "WHAT!?!" The guy had a bag of pot on him in my marked company vehicle that was working on a multi-million dollar project. All I could think of was losing the contract when the police busted an idiot with pot in my van. I told him to throw it out the window. He refused. I told him I would pull over and allow him to hide it near a tree, later he could come back for it. He agreed. I pulled over, he got out of the van, and I drove to lunch. Hmm, I guess that would have been the first time I "cucumbered" someone. I never saw him again.

I'm a big chicken when it comes to things like this. People need to think about who else they are impacting when they possess illegal items in the presence of others.

Again, for me, it wasn't about the Pot. I couldn't care less when it doesn't affect anyone else. But I'm reminded of a day in Key Largo on a boat I was captaining. We were in the preserve and a paying customer came up with the biggest conch shell I had ever seen. I told him before he even made it up the ladder, throw it over. "You can't keep it, toss it back in". He argued and refused to throw it over.

I explained to him and the crew that we would not be pulling anchor until the conch shell was no longer on my boat. We sat there for a good 5 minutes while he was peer pressured into agreement.

My license was neither cheap or easy. I'm not willing to risk it for you. You think the Coast Guard frowns on a conch shell in a preserve, how do you think they'll feel about some pot. And yes, we have found people with weed on the boat. It's really not cool.

20+ years ago I owned a construction company. Everyday at lunch time, 8 of us would load up in my van and drive to the nearest restaurant for lunch. One day a new guy asked his buddy, "hey do you got that blunt"? Surely I misheard him. So I said, "WHAT!?!" The guy had a bag of pot on him in my marked company vehicle that was working on a multi-million dollar project. All I could think of was losing the contract when the police busted an idiot with pot in my van. I told him to throw it out the window. He refused. I told him I would pull over and allow him to hide it near a tree, later he could come back for it. He agreed. I pulled over, he got out of the van, and I drove to lunch. Hmm, I guess that would have been the first time I "cucumbered" someone. I never saw him again.

I'm a big chicken when it comes to things like this. People need to think about who else they are impacting when they possess illegal items in the presence of others.

MIami-Dade and Broward are trying to pass to make minor weed offenses merely fineable -- with still the option of arrest to cut down on the prison time. it is still illegal in florida and i am not condoning the use.
if an operator caught you with some on their boat they would immeadiately contact the coast guard and don't forget if there are minors on board at the time --- that's an additional offense!!!

if caught on the boats - that would be federal and they would show no mercy...

Tourists are one thing, if they get banned they can go home. Locals like us would have to tremendously stupid to risk being banned from all the boats around here and possibly the shops since they read the board as well.

I smoke a little bit of pot in the eve once in a while I don't understand some people crying like i'm putting peoples lives in danger, I never said I was going to take anything on a boat all I asked was if it's difficult to get in the keys.. I had a great time diving in Florida and the shop is was diving with actually asked me to stay longer and do my Divemasters with them and work for them. So obviously I'm not as much as degenerate as some people on here made me out to be.

Glad you had a good trip. It's clear to me the question in your original post about pot was just carelessness on the part of someone who comes from a more liberal part of the continent and didn't think it was a big deal. It's still a big deal in many places in the world. And we all know that pot and other substances do not mix with diving.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom