Robbing Paul to pay Peter... a disturbing trend with Revo Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 main rule is: you don't go for fisching clients, (students, unit sales) in others territory (the units that are in north Florida are not for north Florida people, they are for clients from other states coming down to do their training)(there was zero advertising to norht Florida people)

2 you take care of your own territory, so you are successfull there: you advertise, do trydives, promote

3 you don't relocate, leave your own territory, and start a business in someone else territory, surely not where the local dealer has done a lot of work to promote, and open up the market

4 an instructor that leaves his own territory, (having neglected completely to work for his own territory, advertising, trydives), to move into someone elses garden, and try to pick the hanging fruits, that is 100% against our agreements

the operation, where all 3 people involved work now, has made it 100% clear what the goal is: trying to get a nice chunk of that market

anybody that feels that I should not hold this position? it would just be unfair for the people that do efforts in this business!

Well Paul, with all due respect, as a paying customer, I have also 1 rule.
I am buying unit, I am deciding on an instructor (from ones certified by manufacturer naturally), I am paying for the instructions and I am choosing the destination which I like. If you have a problem with that, well.... I vote with my wallet.
Tomek

we had this discussion many times before, so I can only assume that you now started this post just to 'push' me, using a public forum, or for slander..

I am neither pushing nor slandering you. :no:

I am simply asking why I am not allowed to teach a revo class in Key Largo, while other instructors are allowed to teach revo in High Springs. You have failed to answer this question in all of our private discussions, and now you fail to answer it here.

My legal address and the place I Homestead is in High Springs, FL -- I have the luxury of working between Key Largo and High Springs.

If you told me that you think I have not been a revo supporter, have done a poor job representing revo and that the other instructors have done a stellar job and that you simply think I am no good, then I would just consider myself fired from the job and move on. But, rather than do that you have made restrictions on me that you have not made across the board.

Well Paul, with all due respect, as a paying customer, I have also 1 rule.
I am buying unit, I am deciding on an instructor (from ones certified by manufacturer naturally), I am paying for the instructions and I am choosing the destination which I like. If you have a problem with that, well.... I vote with my wallet.
Tomek

100% This.

I can kind of understand the "Hey learn a Revo in Key Largo" as advertising. But remove the destination and make them just Revo instructors in Florida so that the location needs to decided by the student.

You need to pick which model you want to promote. You either have shops with iron clad service areas who "deputize" certain instructors by the fact that they work for the shop and have passed a basic test. Or you carefully select independent instructors and give them the title of "revo instructor" which would allow them to teach students where ever their students want them to teach.

Can someone shed some more light on what other rebreather manufacturers do? I always assumed it was the independent instructor model.

I know that Wayne Fisch is teaching the JJ for two weeks in Key Largo soon.

and I am glad this came up when it did because I was seriously considering doing rebreather training the keys. Naturally, my progression would have been to finally select a unit, then find an instructor, and then pick the destination. This discussion has raised an unforeseen issue that I (and any person looking for a rebreather) needs to address/look into when making their final decision.

This isn't as noble a story as David versus Goliath, but I hope the general population of Scubaboard sees what's going on. I was recently a victim of this same giant. Last month I attempted to be a dealer, more than 250 miles away from said giant, for an awesome product that had zero representation in my area. The manufacturer was excited to have me, right up until the giant (Pete S.) said he'd pull the product line entirely from his stores if I was made a dealer. Mind you, my shop is easily 3+ hours away from addnausia. But, the manufacturer had to survive. He conceded, and my dealership was cancelled. I am CERTAIN, a similar thing is in play here with Jim and his giant.

This isn't as noble a story as David versus Goliath, but I hope the general population of Scubaboard sees what's going on. I was recently a victim of this same giant. Last month I attempted to be a dealer, more than 250 miles away from said giant, for an awesome product that had zero representation in my area. The manufacturer was excited to have me, right up until the giant (Pete S.) said he'd pull the product line entirely from his stores if I was made a dealer. Mind you, my shop is easily 3+ hours away from addnausia. But, the manufacturer had to survive. He conceded, and my dealership was cancelled. I am CERTAIN, a similar thing is in play here with Jim and his giant.
and is that the reason why you have such a 'grunch' against me personally? (see your post nr2) (to be clear, i am not that manufacturer!)

and is that the reason why you have such a 'grunch' against me personally? (see your post nr2) (to be clear, i am not that manufacturer!)

Paul,

If I wanted to do my Revo training in Key Largo could I use Jim Wyatt or any other instructor of my choosing?

I am neither pushing nor slandering you. :no:

I am simply asking why I am not allowed to teach a revo class in Key Largo, while other instructors are allowed to teach revo in High Springs. You have failed to answer this question in all of our private discussions, and now you fail to answer it here.

my answer was and is very clear: you moved out of your previous location and settled in a new location. Now you can say that your home address is north, but we all know where you live permanently, it is clear for everyone.

I asked you recently why did you not devellop in the north area? nothing has happened there the last 18 months. And your answer was:' yes, you do need another instructor dealer there...'

so please don't play the victim here!

I think this is now clear enough for everybody, enough facts out (I did not start this post, but when facts are falsely represented..) everybody can make up his own mind.

time for weekend!

please don't play the victim here!

I am not participating in this thread to gain victim status. I am simply pointing out the discrepancy between instructors who are able to teach revo in another instructors' territory, and instructors who are not allowed to teach out of their own territory.

/... When you purchase a rEvo you will be getting an instructor that meets the very high standards expected of them by Paul, and you won’t be getting any “Johnny come lately” instructor, this may put a few noses out of joint (and has obviously done so)
I don't think anyone in this thread is making negative comments about a company insisting on and maintaining high standards for instructors.

That's not the point.

The point it Jim is a eEvo instructor with a territory in High Springs - a territory that is routinely invaded by south Florida instructors. Jim however is prevented from applying his same high standard of instruction in south Florida.

That disparate treatment of it's approved instructors by rEvo is a slimy business practice.

Even if rEvo gave a shop in south Florida exclusive rights in that area, including training in that area, and if rEvo feels it must abide by that exclusive agreement, it is not unreasonable to expect rEvo to extend the same protection to Jim in High Springs - directing the shop in south Florida to teach somewhere else. As I understand it, that fair treatment by rEvo is all Jim asked for, and rEvo has refused.

The irony here is that the Paul has made a statement to the effect that he's not going to break an agreement just to make a quick buck - but by favoring a shop in south Florida with higher sales volume, that appears to be exactly what he is doing by not offering Jim the same treatment.

----

The argument that Jim now lives in south Florida and no longer resides in High Springs is pretty stupid. I live in NC - it's my legal residence and I own a home there. However my employer is in DC, I work in DC on a regular basis and rent an apartment there. But that doesn't make me a DC resident.

Is this more about selling a rebreather to a student, then about just the training part of the process? Seems a instructor should be able to train anywhere. Example would be a instructor from a northern part of the country selling a student a rebreather during winter months. Then scheduling for some place warmer, ie Florida to complete the OW dives.
But to set up shop in someone else's territory and sell is totally different.
I get the impression only part of the story is being posted here.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom