DIR Scuba Vacation Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine looks pretty much the same, but it does depend on what I'm planning on doing for diving. I have taken every bit of dive gear I own sans cylinders and my 300 gram undersuit as I was planning on a mix of single tank and twinset diving. My wife wasn't too pleased when I showed up to her ship with all of my dive kit. It barely fit in her cabin, whoops.
As crazy as this sounds, I take my drysuit with just a light base layer as well. Mainly because my fins are too big unless I'm wearing my drysuit, and I don't do enough single tank warm water diving to warrant buying another set of fins (i think i've done 4x single tank warm water dives in the past 5 years).
Everything besides my drysuit and fins (turtle fins) goes into my hand luggage. This includes 2xdsmbs, steel backplate, twinset wing, single tank wing, wetnotes, 2xmasks, 3xtorches (back-ups and can light), twinset regs, stage regs, suit inflate regs, bottom timer, compass (not that i ever use it), and 2xmasks. The regs normally get a second look.
I take a set of tools with me as well, and some spares. If I'm doing a mix of single and twinset diving, I have to re-arrange my regs.

You need a bigger boat :)

No one else has mentioned it, but if you are concerned about having DIR compliant gear for travel, why are your wife's gauges in a console?

I haven't converted her yet. She's still in a stab jacket and split fins. I have a plate and wing for her but haven't gotten her to try it yet. Gonna powder coat them her favorite color when I get back stateside in hopes she gives it a try.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2015 at 11:58 PM ----------

F1s conveniently strap into the cam bands.

33692ffe2ae1c3946964ea4262d48328.jpg

Sent from my Dive Rite Bridge II

Awesome packing idea. Going to steal that idea for my January dive trip.

This is something that's in the (near) future for me, but I'll note that quite a few airlines I've flown recently are cutting way back on carry-on travel weight (sometimes down to 5 or 7 kg / 14-16 lbs), particularly on long haul, which is juuust about enough for a scuba rig, I rekon, but my cameras are more likely to tip the scales further - particuarly if I've got a telephoto lens with me. Guess I'll have to convince the SO to carry less 'unnecessary' carry-on chaff :)

A question regarding warm water/tropical dives: where do you guys put your small stuff? DSMB, wet notes, spare mask, whatever else you need on the dive? I enjoy wetsuit dives, but really miss my drysuit pockets...

A question regarding warm water/tropical dives: where do you guys put your small stuff? DSMB, wet notes, spare mask, whatever else you need on the dive? I enjoy wetsuit dives, but really miss my drysuit pockets...

Glue on wetsuit pockets. Or pocket shorts. I prefer the glue on pockets. Also seen people just wear regular cargo shorts over the wetsuit.

If it's warm water and NDL diving, I only carry a SMB, of what you listed, and I pre-rig that to a small reel and clip it to my right waist D-ring. For technical dives, I wear my lightweight, breathable drysuit (with pockets).

Because I'm not a DIR purest, and dive what works for my environment

My wing (s) all have Large (mask size) pockets, one on each side on my waist belt, where I stash my small items and dsmb etc. If my Spool isn't attached to the dsmb then I hang it off a shoulder or hip d-ring.

I still use my wing pockets even in my DS because I spend most of the year without thigh pockets and I like to keep my gear in the same place as far as possible. Obv I have different locations for my BCD stab vest and SM set ups

I am not sure what is so hard. For a BC you can get this. For the regulators, most manufacturers have a travel regulator. Use lightweight hoses. For fins get something light like the SP Go or the Oceanic Accels or even the Mares Quattro.

I like and respect DIR, but you need to look deeper at why they do things. For example, if you are not scootering do you really need a front D-Ring or even a back one if you are not using it? Do you really need a can light if you don't need the burn time? Do you need a 7 foot hose if you are not going into an overhead situation? Do you need a brass and glass SPG or will a plastic one do? I am not advocating cutting corners if in fact you are traveling to do technical dives, if that is the case you need to bit the bullet and bring all your regular gear. But if it isn't then you can reduce your weight by substituting lighter weight gear.

Interesting, I can get all of my gear and my wife's in a similar backpack.

What kind of backpack are you using and can you carry the fins inside or outside?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom