starter looking for some advice on BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey i didn't know they have an UK distributor. That would be MUCH better and easier, because there are no taxes between members of the EU. Also shipping costs could be a lot cheaper.

Can't find them, can you give me a link?

I talked to a friend who ordered stuff from the U.S. recently and he told me that here in Austria they will definetely apply our 20% VAT on top of that :(
I guess ordering from US is off the table than, the price would just be unreasonable high.
Very sad, since out of all the stuff i looked at the DSS-rigs made the most sense, because they have backplates in multiple sizes.and their large plate with 2,9kg seems perfect for my needs.
So if i don't find a shop in EU selling their stuff i guess my search continues..

Thanks for the link yesterday (http://www.blue-orb.uk/), i've seen it before the reset. I've looked through some of their "dealers", but still couldn't find anyone having DeepSeaSupply- stuff unfortunately :(

So how heavy are the backplates you guys are wearing? I plan to buy a 5mm suit which will be my "all-purpose suit", so i doubt i will ever dive with something less buoyant. Also i will stay with a single tank, lets say AL because its more buoyant.

So since this will be the most common scenario (+my "least buoyant scenario") my idea would be to have a backplate that weights as much (or maybe just a bit more to be on the save side) to compensate for all that. I just have no clue how much weight that would be .. Also i have not bought the wetsuit yet. Is there any way to get a raw estimation? :)
I just tried a "test" i read about somewhere yesterday in the pool. Wearing only a swim-short i exhaled and tried to sink without moving. I found out that i can sink to the ground if i blow most of the air out of my lungs (i guess like 2/3rd)

Sorry for all my questions :)
Just getting pretty excited about diving at the moment and want to find just the right gear for me

So how heavy are the backplates you guys are wearing?

I use a stainless steel (so 5.8 # or 2.6kg) BP for any single tank diving with a 3mm suit or thicker.

I only use my lightweight BP for diving with steel doubles or, maybe, if the water is so warm I'm going with something less than a 3mm full suit. I don't know, since I've never dived in anything less than a 3mm...

For travel, I put my SS BP and wing, 3mm wetsuit, mask, computer, and regulators in my carry-on bag, so the weight doesn't really matter. I only put my fins in a checked bag.

I also got what i believe to be a nice offer of Tord from Agir-Brokk for a similar set like that DIR ZONE from my last post.

Any thoughts on DIR-ZONE vs AGIR-BROKK? I read a lot of good things about both, but which one would you prefer?

@stuartv: i haven't thought about putting that stuff in the carry-on bag until now. Did you have any problems when they X-rayed your bag? I guess the plate must look like a big junk of metal on the x-ray?

@stuartv: i haven't thought about putting that stuff in the carry-on bag until now. Did you have any problems when they X-rayed your bag? I guess the plate must look like a big junk of metal on the x-ray?

I have never had any trouble. I think one time the agent doing the x-ray called a supervisor over to look at her screen and then they looked around, saw me, and asked "scuba equipment?" I said yes and that was that.

I just have to remember to take my cutting devices off my harness and put them in my checked bag! :)

[QUOTE="
I just have to remember to take my cutting devices off my harness and put them in my checked bag! :)[/QUOTE]

Learned (no remembered) that one the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom