starter looking for some advice on BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

• It should be light-weight because i don't want to have too much extra weight on flights.
  • I

Any advice/tips for me? Thanks in advance.

I travel everywhere with stainless steel plate and HOG regs (comparatively heavy) and I don't have any problems with weight requirements. However, I don't travel with photography gear

Hello guys! I also want to ask about bcd's, can I use this thread instead of creating a new one?
I was planning to buy a wing because I think it allows a greater number of configurations (sidemount, double cilinder, etc...) but got worried about the pieces compatibility. Do I have to buy the backplate, bladder and the other piece from the same manufacturer? Does wing allows for all kinds of configurations? I'm not planning on specializing on any kind of diving, so i'd like a bcd that does it all.

where are you located? *important for availability
How tall are you? *important for sizing
How much do you weigh? *see above
How much lift in the wing do you need?

That helps to direct to certain brands.

To answer your question, "sort of". All backplates use the same 11" bolt spacing that is standardized for doubles. If you choose to use a standard single tank adapter, then yes, most any backplate will work with MOST wings. A few don't have bolt holes, because they are designed to be used without an STA but that is easily remedied. It is generally cheaper and easier to purchase a dedicated "set" for your first rig, especially if it is a single tank unit. I am unaware of any doubles wing that isn't compatible with normal backplates.

Do I have to buy the backplate, bladder and the other piece from the same manufacturer?

I used a jigsaw to cut the tank straps slots in my no-name cheapo Alu plate to match the slots in my Hollis wing. If you're not comfortable doing something like that, buy a complete kit.

where are you located? *important for availability
How tall are you? *important for sizing
How much do you weigh? *see above
How much lift in the wing do you need?

That helps to direct to certain brands.

To answer your question, "sort of". All backplates use the same 11" bolt spacing that is standardized for doubles. If you choose to use a standard single tank adapter, then yes, most any backplate will work with MOST wings. A few don't have bolt holes, because they are designed to be used without an STA but that is easily remedied. It is generally cheaper and easier to purchase a dedicated "set" for your first rig, especially if it is a single tank unit. I am unaware of any doubles wing that isn't compatible with normal backplates.

I'm from Brasil, Rio de Janeiro. I'm 175 cm tall and have 90kg. I don't know about the lift.

hope you're enjoying Carnival down there!

we need to know how much lift you need, so to do that, how much lead and what gear did you use the last time you were in the water? Do you plan on using the same wetsuit and tank configuration? If not, what wetsuit/tanks do you plan on using?

I hate carnival, ugh.
I used 10kg, don't know what unit you use. I'll use the same wetsuit and configuration until I get my AOW, but I'd like a BC to use different configurations, sidemount, double cilinder, etc.

so you can't use backmount plates and wings to do sidemount, it doesn't work. You can use SOME sidemount rigs to do backmount, but the only one that does it halfway decently is the Dive Rite Nomad XT. It is far from necessary however. The wings for single tank and twinsets/doubles are not compatible from one end to the other. That is the issue, you essentially have to commit to either backmount or sidemount at this point. If you choose sidemount, you have to decide if you are diving steel or aluminum cylinders, as the rig configuration is largely different, it is more of a "style" difference, and both rigs are capable of doing both types of cylinders. If you choose backmount, you have to choose singles or doubles, and if you choose both, you will have to purchase two separate wings, one for singles, one for doubles. The backplate and harness is universal, though with doubles you typically do not need a heavy steel plate, so most people have a plate for singles and one for doubles

sigh... at least I only need one harness, right? And it's still better than a semi wing, since I can buy the parts one at a time. Thanks for the help.

correct. If you choose a lightweight plate, that can be used for both singles and doubles, you just have to wear a weight belt, or if you use aluminum tanks as doubles, you can use a stainless steel plate for both. Most of this really depends on the tanks you plan on using.

If you go to sidemount though you really need a dedicated rig. I have dove my nomad as singles and doubles and it works fine, but it is my sidemount rig, that happens to have done double duty in backmount, not my primary backmount rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom