Question Halcyon aluminium versus carbon BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am surprised nobody has told OP to ditch the steel STA for a Carbon STA. $150 and drops 6 pounds from his rig.
Best will the world here buddy but nearly 6lb / 3kg seems way to much for an STA to be different in weight unless it’s made of lead. I’d doubt a stainless one would weigh anymore than 1&1/2lb or 3/4kg. So I think you’ve seen a figure with some sort of weight included.

All modern Halcyon plates have tank band slots. (Only the "Traveler" wings have slots.)
View attachment 839321
FYI: Halcyon phased out the "Pro" carbon plates with molded in tank stabilizers. The new plates have just the "Cinch" molded in and are intended to be used with their carbon fiber STA.
I’d just buy a new (or newer s/h) Ali Halcyon backplate and sell the old one, could be a cheap swap out. (But I think that’s what your getting at anyway. ) 😉

I realise the OP is discussing backplate material, albeit to loose some flight weight but is there anything else you could loose weight safely from ie if you take a reel with you a spool would save quite a bit, and fin weight differences can vary quite a bit. Also I’d imagine A clamp and din fitting regs etc could also.

This seems like the one that came with.
I hope you realize that if you do have the weighted STA you can simply remove the lead insert and buy a couple of SS bolts to attach the STA to the BP. Carriage bolts of 1" and 1.25" will do the trick.

All modern Halcyon plates have tank band slots. (Only the "Traveler" wings have slots.)
View attachment 839321
FYI: Halcyon phased out the "Pro" carbon plates with molded in tank stabilizers. The new plates have just the "Cinch" molded in and are intended to be used with their carbon fiber STA.
Halcyon small backplates do not have tank band slots. If the OP doesn't have the slots it is a small backplate.

I am surprised nobody has told OP to ditch the steel STA for a Carbon STA. $150 and drops 6 pounds from his rig.
I was under impression my STA was aluminum but now that I checked Halcyon doesn’t even offer aluminum STA and one with Eclipse is SS weights around 2lbs without cam bands. Carbon fiber are 0.25 lbs for comparison at $140. Halcyon Dive Systems

Attachments

• IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 29
I realise the OP is discussing backplate material, albeit to loose some flight weight but is there anything else you could loose weight safely from ie if you take a reel with you a spool would save quite a bit, and fin weight differences can vary quite a bit. Also I’d imagine A clamp and din fitting regs etc could also.
I would like to replace super heavy yoke clamp in my 10yo Legend with INT but hate to spend$$$ on a new first stage. Nothing heavy with me, standard spool, smb and couple of lights. Fins are slightly positive SC Nova actually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom