GoPro for night photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For very first night dive you might not care to be task-loading with both camera and lights. That's your call but GoPros need steady, calm diver and there is an adjustment to night diving and also possible anxiety in first night dive imho. Maybe wait until 2nd nite dive.

I use Morph dive lights with video heads (widely dispersed light) as most dive lights have a concentrated hot spot that cause pretty bad over and under exposure issues.

*sigh*

GoPros work because they just come along for the ride. Are you really gonna play the "you're gonna die" card here?

By "not your LAST night dive" I didn't mean to imply he would die. Simply meant that he will most likely do other night dives, so hold off on bringing the GoPro along until the next one.

He's never been on a night dive, and sounds like never dived with a GoPro either, certainly not with one hand holding the camera and the other hand holding his dive light. Maybe add a new computer into the mix and go for the "Accidents & Incidents" trifecta?

:)

Last edited:
I have used my Gopro at night dives and it works really well if you have a quality video light. I had a 110 degree video light so it lit up the reef perfectly. The colours at night actually show up a lot better than during the day. Highly recommend a quality video light with at least 100 degrees.

When I bring my GoPro on night dives, which is rare (I prefer stills) it's got two Sola 800 dive lights on a tray. Lights set wide. Works great.

Thank you! I've got two dive lights.. so maybe if I grow an extra arm I'll be able to McGuiver it lol. I'm going to see if I can swing a strobe system before we go. Thanks a bunch for the info on the GoPro settings!
GoPro's cannot drive or synch with a strobe so that would be a waste of money.

They also normally shoot in 170 degree wide angle mode - I think the narrow setting is about 120 degrees so if you don't match the beam pattern like James R is doing - you're going to see dark circular shadows around everything you shoot at any distance.

A typical dive light is about 8-10 degrees so if that's all you've got, try to diffuse the light somehow.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom