Lionfish Hunting Near Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, after you have them on the spear, sometimes if you don't get a good hit on them, they may swim off, especially if the spear doesn't have little barbs on it. One way to keep them still while cutting the spines (the big frilliy ones are not venemonous and neither is the tail), is to stick your thumb in their mouth. The teeth aren't big enough to hurt you. Or you can grab em by the eyes. REEF.org has some good videos as does youtube. Happy Hunting.
Oh, almost no lionfish off the beach in Broward. The reefs are pretty well monitored by divers. You might find an odd one here or there, but I don't even carry my spear anymore on a beach dive.
Thanks Scubba Jenny, I'm diving with Odessy in Pompano on Monday.

Wow Thanks for the order AND for letting us know about the it here. I'd love to hear how the new gear works out for you!

Dive Safe
dano

Ok Dano, I used my travel pole spear today. It's my first pole spear and first attempt at spearing lionfish. I got my first confirmed kill and wounding another that got off and swam out of reach on the ledge. I used two sections of the spear with the 5 prong barbed tip. I purchased the lion fish band but, opted for the full size one. I also used my new spearfishing glove that fit perfect according to the size chart on Mako's website. The transport tube is killer and they threw in an extra sticker with it. I'm very pleased with it and for 20$ it's a must have item for anyone who buys the spear. It's really heavy duty and works flawlessly. I must say I seen tons of fish to shoot today on all 4 dives, I'm thinking of buying a gun. I could have spears a decent size hog fish but I didn't have a license so I let him pass. All and all I'm thrilled with my purchase and everything seems well made and sturdy, but I am a noob to spearing anything but I do know quality. It's all quality and machined. For the price and quick service it's awesome.

Ok Dano, I used my travel pole spear today. It's my first pole spear and first attempt at spearing lionfish. I got my first confirmed kill and wounding another that got off and swam out of reach on the ledge. I used two sections of the spear with the 5 prong barbed tip. I purchased the lion fish band but, opted for the full size one. I also used my new spearfishing glove that fit perfect according to the size chart on Mako's website. The transport tube is killer and they threw in an extra sticker with it. I'm very pleased with it and for 20$ it's a must have item for anyone who buys the spear. It's really heavy duty and works flawlessly. I must say I seen tons of fish to shoot today on all 4 dives, I'm thinking of buying a gun. I could have spears a decent size hog fish but I didn't have a license so I let him pass. All and all I'm thrilled with my purchase and everything seems well made and sturdy, but I am a noob to spearing anything but I do know quality. It's all quality and machined. For the price and quick service it's awesome.

WOW! thanks so much for the feedback- I'm really happy you had a good time and were successful. As you continue to practice, you will see improvement in your ability to hunt with a pole spear.

As for a speargun.. I would be happy to give you some recommendations, but for the clear water of south florida we would recommend a 110 cm gun for scuba.

Also, we have had many scuba divers give us excellent feedback on the Oceanic gun.. it has an enclsoed track which makes loading the spear into the gun faster and easier and less complicated... all good things for the new spearo.. This is our high end gun and is somewhat unique...noone else offers a railgun with a similar spear track..

Thanks!!

Dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom