Lionfish Hunting Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently went lionfish hunting in Cartagena, ColOmbia. I didn’t do the PADI class, instead I went out with a DM that I’ve done a number of dives with and he always kills them when he dives. I’m hooked on it and want my own hunting gear now.

He didn’t have a zookeeper, instead he cuts off the spines on the spot and stows them in a bag.

I rather put them in a container such as. Zookeeper but those things are expensive. I’d make my own but since moving to an apartment overseas I don’t have tools. Any recommendations for a cheap alternative ? If not I’ll just buy the few tools required.

Also, what do you recommend for a sling pole? I don’t want to spend more than around $60.

I rather put them in a container such as. Zookeeper but those things are expensive. I’d make my own but since moving to an apartment overseas I don’t have tools. Any recommendations for a cheap alternative ? If not I’ll just buy the few tools required.
They are fairly pricy. I made my own, but only because I stumbled on a perfect tube for free, so I only had to buy a couple items. Otherwise, the Zookeeper was about the same price, unless I was going to make a bunch of them.

Some also use lobster catch bags. As long as you can keep the spines inside the bag, it should be fine.

When I was in Honduras I saw what looked like do-it-yourself keepers. A pvc tube, rubber boot at the bottom. Rubber boot at the top with with symetrical cuts from the center to the lip of the tube to act as the one way stopper valve. Both ends held in place with large hose type clamps. two holes drilled mid tube with polypro line fashioned as a handle. Sorry no pictures or schematic.

A 5 gallon bucket with slots cut the lid would be less than $5 and work well. I've seen them used before zookeepers became common.
Any polespear will work. I just used a shaft with a 3 tine paralyzer without any band and caught over a ton per year.
No band, that’s really interesting

No band, that’s really interesting
They are really quite fearless. They'll allow divers to get really close. Even if you miss, they seem to move a few feet away and once again feel vulnerable.
Any polespear will work. I just used a shaft with a 3 tine paralyzer without any band and caught over a ton per year.
Barbless tines work best. The barbs tend to hold the fish on too well, so they sometimes don't release depending on the design of the containment unit.

While on a vacation in Roatan, I made a spear from a few lengths of metal coat hangar, with sharpened ends and lashed them to a broom handle with duct tape. Worked great, had a bbq feast of lionfish.
I had a bag I borrowed from the dive shop, and removed spines with EMT shears prior to cleaning.

How about the ELF tool? Watch this video, fast forward to 2.00 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom