Egyptian diver Wael Omar prepares for deepest dive of 400 metres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should be obvious, but apparently needs to be said anyway: even if pushing limits is important (in some sense), it doesn't follow that it's important (in the same sense) to push every limit.

It should be also obvious, but apparently needs to be said anyway: even if I (or you) think that pushing a particular limit is senseless, it doesn't follow that I (or you) believe that one should be prevented from pushing that limit.

@laconic, no disagreement there.

I wasn't sure whether we actually disagreed or not. But others were making those arguments IIRC.

Since when have world records or stunts in general been inherently about science or pushing limits or anything of the sort. People do it because they want to. There are Guinness world records for the "longest chain of people licking lolipops". That's probably not even the stupidest world record. If the guy wants to do something likely to kill him simply to have his name in "the book" then that's all the reason he might need. He wouldn't be the first, probably wouldn't be the 100,000th, and definitely won't be the last.

That said, it sounds to me like Mr. Davis has exposed this as a hoax anyway.

I wasn't sure whether we actually disagreed or not. But others were making those arguments IIRC.

I was just offering an interesting (and amusing) response to the "why drive a car so fast?" question. One of people in the conversation is the driver of the Bloodhound, Wing Commander Andy Green from the RAF.

IMO, these OC scuba depth records are generally a fool's quest. If you really need to do something 400 meters under the ocean, the technology to do it with relative safety exists. Get a diving bell and saturation rig and do the job right! Why attempt to do it with a minimum of equipment that is inadequate to handle even the most minor deviations from a dive plan that has a good chance of being unrealistic to begin with? It's not like this is even close to setting an actual diving depth record. It's just going deeper than anybody else has gone with equipment that is not designed to go deep.

I could understand this kind of record attempt if there was some physical conditioning the diver was doing to make them better adapted to handle the conditions of the dive, but I don't think that is what's going on here. He want's to achieve 400 meters. If that is the goal, he should have done at least 370 meters in training before attempting 400. Obviously, this has not happened, or he would be the current record holder already. It appears as though this guy is just planning a very deep dive using the wrong equipment to do a very deep dive, and doing it without putting in the effort to actually figure out how to actually plan the dive or achieve the stated goal. The odds look to be stacked against him. :O

That said, I'm not going to stop someone from doing what they want, so long as it isn't infringing on someone else's freedom. So, good luck Wael! You're gonna need it....

I was searching for that, and I found out that weird thing in google news search. Probably he aborted it.
Wael Omar record depth scuba   Google Search.png

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom