Polish diver dies in world record attempt to 333m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Care to run a 15 'working', 10 deco (using other parameters same as your previous) just to see where that takes us? No problem if you don't want to be bothered running it. But if you do, no need to post profile, just gas usage. :)

And thanks for posting the previous SAC.

I am mixing gas for next weekend dives, after using up my gas this weekend. If I am done early (I am in Italy and it is 7 pm) and my wife lets me (I have to BBQ tonight) I will give it a go.

I could have answered without running Multideco .... is 25% less:
17593.3 ltr Trimix 6/90
11271.1 ltr Trimix 12/85
2435.3 ltr Trimix 18/75
37218.7 ltr Trimix 20/75
12544.6 ltr Triox 50/30
3796.5 ltr HeliOx 90/10
84859.5 ltr TOTAL

I love the computer when it tells me I need exactly x.3! ltrs of any given gas :)

As mentioned before, Sebastian was using 20 litre steels.

The figure "15 tanks"... I have gone again through the FB chatter and other pages and it might not be the amount he took on him, but the amount he was working with for the dive (might include deposits on the guideline).
If you look at the video attached to one of the earlier posts of mine, it shows him diving to 100m at the end of May in a configuration that probably resembled closely his attempt dive - plenty of 20L stages in front of him.

Folks on Polish FB think he must have uses Hydrogen in the mix, otherwise he couldn't have come back to 100m from 333m in just 1 hour and 40 minutes, which is the time when checking diver went down to meet him at 100m. If it was just Trimix, he could have reached 100m after diving only to 250m, not 333m. Mind you I am not a Trimix diver yet so my relay of information might be inaccurate in that field.

Sebastian was using 20 litre steels.
So if the gas requirements posted upthread are fairly correct, he'd need 16 of those. At a minimum. Assuming a gas consumption of 15 lpm, which is rather moderate for cold water drysuit diving.

I could have answered without running Multideco .... is 25% less:
17593.3 ltr Trimix 6/90
11271.1 ltr Trimix 12/85
2435.3 ltr Trimix 18/75
37218.7 ltr Trimix 20/75
12544.6 ltr Triox 50/30
3796.5 ltr HeliOx 90/10
84859.5 ltr TOTAL

I love the computer when it tells me I need exactly x.3! ltrs of any given gas :)

Grazie Fabio, much appreciated. An average of 15lpm then, I was expecting a bit less.

And yes, make sure you always factor in that .3. :eek::D

So if the gas requirements posted upthread are fairly correct, he'd need 16 of those. At a minimum. Assuming a gas consumption of 15 lpm, which is rather moderate for cold water drysuit diving.

Agreed. But that would fit somewhat at least with the figure of 15 cylinders mentioned earlier in the thread, but being needed for the complete dive, as opposed to being around him at 200m.

As for SAC, Nuno's was just above 15 (about 16) but how much above is hard to say without his exact consumption usage. Gabr's however must have been much much less if he only used 9 cylinders - even if 20ltrs - for the whole dive (if correct as Dan T quoted above). Even if the four on his back were not included in that 9, it is still only 13. I envy his breathing rate!

As mentioned before, Sebastian was using 20 litre steels.

The figure "15 tanks"... I have gone again through the FB chatter and other pages and it might not be the amount he took on him, but the amount he was working with for the dive (might include deposits on the guideline).
If you look at the video attached to one of the earlier posts of mine, it shows him diving to 100m at the end of May in a configuration that probably resembled closely his attempt dive - plenty of 20L stages in front of him.

Folks on Polish FB think he must have uses Hydrogen in the mix, otherwise he couldn't have come back to 100m from 333m in just 1 hour and 40 minutes, which is the time when checking diver went down to meet him at 100m. If it was just Trimix, he could have reached 100m after diving only to 250m, not 333m. Mind you I am not a Trimix diver yet so my relay of information might be inaccurate in that field.

THANKS for that update Hiszpan!

Another facts that I managed to piece together from Sebastian's FB posts. Some might be irrelevant, some might not:

1) He was probably using Vitkovice brand of cylinders (He mentiones that brand when he says about companies that support him in this record dive attempt)

2) He was preparing on land during winter time (cardio, gym, pool) and early spring, he planned to be back underwater from May onwards

3)
On this short clip, when he jokingly answers many questions about his gas configuration, we can see his gear for the attempt (wing is the same as on the pictures, huge spool with the descent line as well). From what I can count, there is at least 20 cylinders behind him, plus some more on the second background. One can only assume all that gear is for the dive attempt.

4) 20th of May he posted a short video of his 102m dive to the bottom of Hancza lake, with a comment:
"Another day of training in my favourite configuration of 10 stages, 20L each".
I think what he means is 10 tanks alltogether: 3 at the back (2+1) and 7 as stages in front of him (6+1 hanging on a short line below the first 6). This can be clearly visible on the clip that was posted earlier from his May dive...

5)...and also on those pictures from lake Garda, days before his attempt (19th of June) (10 tanks: 2+1 on the back + 7 stages):
64944346_836170056765709_1527314641317789696_o.jpg

64329875_836170206765694_3555730384144564224_n.jpg

6) 26th of June, when he went to 222m with a CCR diver Ivano Predari, we can see 12 tanks on a platform being towed to the dive spot. (plus a CCR and bailout tanks of the other diver I presume, as they lay separately):

7) In the same post above he mentions Marco Alberti as his gas blender

8) In the post form the 22nd of May he mentiones Nuno Gomes and thanks him for his advice in preparation for his attempt.

I concur his configuration was 2+1 at the back plus 6+1 stages at the front plus unknown (at least 4) tanks deposited on the descent line.

he had already done 15 stops by 80m, and then has only 16 more ahead - and it is not a typo, then that was one a hell of an aggressive deco profile from 80 on up!

Just to clarify, I think that those 16 more stops are related to depths, not times. A stop every 6m to 6m and then a last one at 3m would give you 15 stops.

I envy his breathing rate!

I can refill my tanks underwater just by letting him have some time on my long hose. I have never seen a diver with more economy of body movement under the water.

Just to clarify, I think that those 16 more stops are related to depths, not times. A stop every 6m to 6m and then a last one at 3m would give you 15 stops.

Correct, totally aware it was (can only be) stops, not time. But even so, if done as you say, that is a 6m jump beteween stops, then I'd still call that an 'aggresive deco profile' when coming back from a dive like that, especially when up in the shallower third of the remainder (i.e. from 30m on up). But that's not meant to be criticism by any means, just an observation on my part.

There are certainly several variations of stop depths in the first half or so (from 80m up) that would allow for stops every 3m from 30m (even 40m) on up, and that would still squeeze in the 16 stops left to do from 80m.

Back
Top Bottom