Fatal Record attempt in Garda Lake Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi - newbie question here,
I've got no problem with these "HERO to ZERO" dives but...
Would it be practical to require that they are somehow tethered to a dive flag, so that no one else has to risk their lives to retrieve the body?

Hi - newbie question here,
I've got no problem with these "HERO to ZERO" dives but...
Would it be practical to require that they are somehow tethered to a dive flag, so that no one else has to risk their lives to retrieve the body?
There's no scuba police that will require it. As far as it being practical to be tethered, it's an interesting question. I guess they're already encumbered by a lot of equipment, being tethered would add to the entanglement hazard, especially when they're already very task loaded as it is.

Tethered sounds horrible and dangerous even on passive dives, let alone dives like that.

Tethered sounds horrible and dangerous even on passive dives, let alone dives like that.

Ok - point taken. Are there any better methods of retrieving the body with less risk to others, or maybe even better still, rescuing the diver once things go pear shaped?

Ok - point taken. Are there any better methods of retrieving the body with less risk to others, or maybe even better still, rescuing the diver once things go pear shaped?

PS - I'm thinking , would a buddy help or would that just double the risk of issues.

I expect an aircell inflator bottle with a dead man's switch on a timer would not be too hard to rig. The risk here is it malfunctions and shoots you up from so far down so fast, your body blows up from explosive decompression.

And yes, with 2 people going down you're just looking at two bodies instead of one.

I bet that depends on what's on the label. If it says the pacemaker is good to 7 atmospheres (about 200 feet) on the label then I suspect they're going to have to go through clinical trials before it's approved for sale. Don't all medical devices/medicines have to be tested on humans before they're approved?
There is a great documentary on Netflix titled "The Bleeding Edge" that exposes the lack of regulation in the medical device industry. As someone with an artificial joint and various other rods and screws throughout my body, it was alarming to say the very least. I highly recommend it.

ROVs

Do they have to retrieve the body ? If it is too unsafe they might be better off just giving up ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom