Fatal Record attempt in Garda Lake Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks he pulled off a 1000ft dive before (if the picture above is correct), then he must have the competence to pull of another one.

At that depth, everything is pushed to the envelope. The question is, what part of the envelope was pushed too far?
Successfully completing one of these nonsense dives isn't really a good indicator of future success.

Competence can't compete with physics and physiology.

I'm with those who don't understand the point of these record setting dives, apart from bragging rights. I don't see how they push back the frontiers of usable knowledge. But these are mentally competent adults who can make their own decisions - the implications of the risks they take are between them and their family members.
I can't say that I do either. However, I don't see the point in climbing mount everest or base jumping or racing a stock car around in a circle.. people do the things they want to do. Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it's value-less to the person doing it.

I can't say that I do either. However, I don't see the point in climbing mount everest or base jumping or racing a stock car around in a circle.. people do the things they want to do. Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it's value-less to the person doing it.

Sure - no scuba police, and as I said, they make their own decisions. I guess the question is how much other people or companies encourage people to do these things. Do you remember the Doc Deep debacle in St. Croix a few years ago?

Yesterday a Polish diver attempted to establish a diving record in Garda Lake (some sources report 300 mt while other 330). After the dive he did not surface.

Not many details available, from Italian sources appears to have attempted Open Circuit, no detail on the support organisation, configuration or gases. What they say is he left from the beach from a camp site. Name not yet available from public sources so I will not publish here. Only detail he was 38 YO, male.

I hope I am wrong but my assessment: doing what appears to be a solo shore dive, without support if this is what happened, aiming to reach -300 is just an elaborate way to lose your life.

Sub disperso nel lago di Garda: tentava il record di profondità

Tenta di battere un record di profondità: sub disperso nel lago di Garda - Il Giorno

Sub disperso nel Garda dopo aver tentato record di immersione NOTIZIA REGIONALE - Giornale di Como

Wow... .it must be as cold as a Yeti's butt at that depth and a 300m dive requires a very long exposure and considerable logistical support. Nothing about doing this as a shore dive makes much sense.

R..

Wow... .it must be as cold as a Yeti's butt at that depth and a 300m dive requires a very long exposure and considerable logistical support. Nothing about doing this as a shore dive makes much sense.

R..
It’s not so bad usually 8 degrees at 100 mt which is not that different from Bracciano lake or Castelgandolfo lake 2 major diving training camps (deep and dark, with bad viz).
Quarries inUK, imho, are much worst: 3 degrees in Stoney Cove ... winter. What really chenges is surface temp even 20-22 in summer time in Italian lakes.

It’s not so bad usually 8 degrees at 100 mt which is not that different from Bracciano lake or Castelgandolfo lake 2 major diving training camps (deep and dark, with bad viz).
Quarries inUK, imho, are much worst: 3 degrees in Stoney Cove ... winter. What really chenges is surface temp even 20-22 in summer time in Italian lakes.

Fresh water is at its most dense at 4C. My experience in lakes is, predictably, that the water temperature near the bottom is also 4C. This is true in the middle of the winter AND the middle of the summer.

According to Google Garda lake is 346m deep at its maximum, which makes the claim of 8C seem somewhat unlikely to me. It could potentially be 8C at 100m but the temperature must certainly drop off steadily from there as you go deeper.

The only point I'm trying to make here is that the water must be very cold at depth and that given the length of the exposure needed, a 300m dive would involve an incredibly long exposure under those conditions.

I dive in those temperatures all the time in the winter and not a single fiber in my being would consider taking on a hours long decompression obligation under those conditions. This makes me wonder if the cold wasn't a contributing factor to the accident.

R..

I'm curious about that. There's several doctors on scubaboard. If medical equipment says something like that, does the FDA require it to be actually tested by humans and verified?
Quality System (QS) Regulation/Medical Device Good Manufacturing Practices

ISO 13485:2016 - Medical devices -- Quality management systems -- Requirements for regulatory purposes

I am out of date with this stuff but you’d be surprised. Stuff being sold has to follow the design quality standards but stuff being made in-house for use on patents directly does not. So some place building novel prosthetics doesn’t need to do the same things as a company making radiotherapy machines.

Do you think there is a big market for scooters that have been tested to 330 meters? A year or two ago a man died when his scooter imploded at over 200 meters. I don't think a lot of people need much more than that kind of depth.
2 different guys died in what I think is the same cave a couple of years apart after their scooters imploded at about 200 meters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom