Another fatal record attempt in Lake Garda, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is hurting someone, Tec diving is not a big industry in Europe. If someone decides that 5 dead people in a lake is enough it is perfectly reasonable to prohibit tec diving like in Croatia, where every recreational dive over 40m is 100% illegal.
Luckily no one cares at the moment for the most part, but a number of caves and wrecks are closed (and monitored) due to it.
Not sure about the legal situation but there appears to be a lot of deep technical diving happening in Croatia. I'd like to try it myself (within my limits) next time I visit.

Croatia is popular for GUE Tec1 classes. However I don’t know the minimum depth requirement, if any, for Tec1.

I need to go there for a diving holiday someday …
The current published GUE standards set a maximum depth of 51 m / 170 ft for Tech 1. There is no explicit minimum depth.

The current published GUE standards set a maximum depth of 51 m / 170 ft for Tech 1. There is no explicit minimum depth.

I would be very suspect of any instructor that doesn't have a minimum max dive depth of at least 150ft for a normoxic course. It is eye opening how quickly the SPG moves at depth, you have very little problem solving time at depth.

If you think those CNS and OTU levels are enormous then I'd hate for you to take a look at those 20h+ dives done by the WKPP.
AE88A857-6C6A-47B4-97D7-EEA6C1DE3A4F.png

3569% on this dive. Only 9hrs though.

I would be very suspect of any instructor that doesn't have a minimum max dive depth of at least 150ft for a normoxic course. It is eye opening how quickly the SPG moves at depth, you have very little problem solving time at depth.
I did my T1 in Croatia, first three days were development of the needed skills, on day three in 30m depth. Day 4 and 5 were experience dives (three at all, another fourth as first "real" dive) in depths ranging from 45 to 51m. There are many very nice wrecks for T1 dives around Istria. IMHO Istria is a perfect spot for normoxic Trimix classes.

View attachment 748363
Struth!!! What on earth did the profile look like? Why so much oxygen? Ah, did you not switch gasses on the computer when doing an "air break"?

It's amazing how our training tells us to keep CNS/OTUs below 100/300, yet the reality is completely different.

Did you feel like you'd smoked 10 packets of cigarettes (can't use the British slang word for cigarettes!) following the dive?

Struth!!! What on earth did the profile look like? Why so much oxygen? Ah, did you not switch gasses on the computer when doing an "air break"?

It's amazing how our training tells us to keep CNS/OTUs below 100/300, yet the reality is completely different.

Did you feel like you'd smoked 10 packets of cigarettes (can't use the British slang word for cigarettes!) following the dive?
3hrs at 200’, max 240’. So much oxygen because so much deco :) Based on experience, I don’t see value to switching the computer off oxygen during gas breaks. From my perspective, it would only make the deco unnecessarily longer.

Felt fine after the dive. I’ve never had any lung tightness after these kind of dives.

Funny. I got paid $1,750 for a 4-hour day as a commercial diver in NJ diving under the ice to install a pipe. If they asked me if I wanted to dive for 9 hours (even in warm water) for a $4,150 check, I'd probably tell them to ask one of the other guys. People don't appreciate how long that is when actually diving.

Funny. I got paid $1,750 for a 4-hour day as a commercial diver in NJ diving under the ice to install a pipe. If they asked me if I wanted to dive for 9 hours (even in warm water) for a $4,150 check, I'd probably tell them to ask one of the other guys. People don't appreciate how long that is when actually diving.
I used to dove 8-12 hours every single day as a commercial diver. Ever shovel horseshit 8 hours a day? Same thing, just underwater there’s no smell. And it wasn’t horseshit. It was dirt . And we didn’t use a shovel. But whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom