Egyptian diver Wael Omar prepares for deepest dive of 400 metres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As dangerous as this seems, it seems like it would be much smarter to bounce to 400m, or whatever the goal is, and have a submersible hyperbaric chamber waiting for you at the deepest depth it can go.
Yep but it is not scuba, it's surface supplied diving and it that case the record you're looking at is far deeper (and the costs incommensurable).

Yep but it is not scuba, it's surface supplied diving and it that case the record you're looking at is far deeper (and the costs incommensurable).
Why would that not be considered scuba? Descend completely on scuba to 400m, then ascend to say, 300m where a submersible hyperbaric chamber is waiting. Get inside, close it off, and have it lifted to the surface where you enjoy your decompression dry inside a chamber for the next 20+ hours.

funny.

everyone said you can't go faster than XXXXX because it is unsafe.

you can't go into space because, you guessed it, it is unsafe.

Unsafe HOW it's being done. Commercial divers dive to these depths but the procedures and equipment are specifically designed to keep them safe.

We don't drive 300km/h in a soap box or launch ourselves into space using a slingshot.... HOW you do things can make a big difference to how safe it is.

And even with acute awareness of the risks and many years of carefully pushing the envelope, the pros can get it wrong too.

upload_2016-2-18_0-45-10.png

Frankly, these dives are not only extremely dangerous, but pointless as well, imo. Unlike traveling faster or going into space, record deep dives serve no purpose beyond the ego statement.

As I was writing this, an old song came to mind. There are comparisons to be made.

Why would that not be considered scuba? Descend completely on scuba to 400m, then ascend to say, 300m where a submersible hyperbaric chamber is waiting. Get inside, close it off, and have it lifted to the surface where you enjoy your decompression dry inside a chamber for the next 20+ hours.
Sounds like the free dive category where they ride a weighted sled down to depth and then inflate a device that brings them back to the surface.... no limits or something....it's never seemed strictly free diving to me, more like free sledding where you hold your breath.

The record he's going for is a an open-circuit S.C.U.B.A. record. For that record to count, you have to surface (alive) on SCUBA. The second you enter the chamber, you are no longer on a Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.

The deep record is fine... but what I would like to see is for somebody to invented a better moustrap. A new -something- that allows for much longer dive times and depths on SCUBA. THAT would be innovation pushing the envelope in my eyes, not this battle of who can haul more tanks than the last guy.

Last edited:
A few years ago I read something when looking at the Dave Shaw death. A summary was: The number of people who dive to 250 metres and survive without injuries is about 10%! At least 50% have died!!

Personally, I wouldn't speculate on his relative chances or success or failure. That's simply because there has been no information published on how he intends to make the attempt.

If, however, he was planning the attempt using the same approach as previous attempts, successful and unsuccessful, have used; then I think it is a pointless exercise that carries a high risk of tragic conclusion.

My assumption, based on the little information publicly available, is that there will be no novel or ground-breaking strategy introduced during his depth record attempt.

If no cutting-edge or revolutionary approach is being used, then there is little potential for learning or advancement from the attempt. The scientific factors relating to hyperbaric physiological effects at these depth ranges are already well understood and predictable. Commercial diving conquered the challenges of reaching these depths many decades ago.

HPNS and compression arthralgia precludes rapid descent to extreme depth. Commercial diving solved this issue by drastically slowing onset of pressure through very slow descents in surface-supplied diving bells.

That approach contrasts distinctly from the rapid 'bounce' dive attempts that have hallmarked scuba record attempts thus far. No scuba depth record attempt has yet opted to instigate a comparably slow descent, due to logistical/practical limitations on the gas that can be carried.

Other extreme depth factors, like gas selection, gas delivery, precision gas production / blending and thermal protection have also been solved in the commercial diving world.

I am absolutely stumped to find any scientific advancements that a 'plummet and pray' approach to attaining extreme depth in scuba equipment can provide. Beyond, of course, more positive evidence that the existing solutions are fatally flawed and inherently limited.

For those that missed it, here are two pertinent background articles relating to the 2015 world depth record attempt:

A Fatal Attempt - Psychological Factors in the Failed World Depth Record Attempt 2015
by Andy Davis (amended and also published in Diver Medic and Dive Safety Magazine, Dive Magazine and Skydive Magazine)

Factors in Deep Scuba Diving | Doppler's Tech Diving Blog
by Steve Lewis

Last edited:
Extremely Well Said...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom