Suggestion For Where To Do Dm Training/internship In Us

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTSharkBait

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

I am a PADI AOW, rescue, EFR certified diver with 100+ dives. I plan to spend about 4 weeks do my DM training/internship this summer. I live in Michigan, and diving conditions here is just cold and murky. So even though I really like my local shop, I'd much rather do it somewhere warm with clear water.

Due to my passport issues, I cannot leave US, so I am looking at either do it in Hawaii or Florida. Does anyone have any experiences with any shops in these areas? Who would have better training quality? I am looking for places I can get solid training, as well as bunch of dives (hopefully good) during internship.

I would really appreciate your advise.

I took quite a few courses with Emerald Coast Scuba in Destin on the FL Panhandle quite a few years back. All good experiences. Good ownership. Named PADI's best shop in PADI America's a few years ago. Owner has certified like 5,000 divers and many instructors and at one point was a Platinum Course Director. I would assume their DM course is very thorough. It's on their website I think.

Hawaii is going to be more expensive than most anywhere in Florida unless you get some sort of deal on housing in Hawaii or stay at a downtown hotel in Miami.

I would recommend doing your internship were you plan on working.
Absolutely--forgot to mention that. If you're looking to work as a DM train where you'll be working, even if it means in Michigan. Don't forget--"working" (at least to me) means pay.

If you are a veteran in the post 9-11 era you might be eligible for the GI Bill with will pay for gear, courses and housing.

Just extra information, don't forget USVI and Puerto Rico for travel without a passport.

Part of the difficulty with working as a DM is having a reputation where you expect to work. If you plan to DM in Michigan, you are going to need an instructor or shop to use you. It's one of the ancillary benefits of doing your DM work locally. By the time you finish, the local instructor(s) and store(s) know your capabilities. In most cases, that's a good thing. On the other hand warm water is pretty nice.
Once you have a few hundred dives locally, it becomes less of an issue.

I would be heading down to Rainbow Reef Dive Center here in Key Largo. They have an excellent intern program here in the Dive Capital of the World and you'll really get to interface with lots of divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom