Refresher After 20 Years...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StephanieGrace

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My Mum is looking to do a refresher course with PADI soon. She was a NASDS instructor for Adelaide Skin in 86' and is somewhat concerned that a lot has changed, and that she has changed. She has the mindset that NASDS and PADI are very different. I keep trying to tell her that PADI are the only ones available in AUS and that regardless of the association the principle remains the same...

As her daughter, I would love to be able to share a passion that we both have with each other, but she has had a child and a back injury, I was wondering if anyone has been out of the water for an extended period of time and has gone back to do a refresher, if you could offer some advice in regards to making her feel comfortable about the whole situation and make it a bit easier for her to slip back into it.

Hi StephanieGrace - as a full-time instructor I encountered this sort of situation a few times - one diver had been out of the water so long that I had to teach her how to use a BCD as she had learned in an old-fashioned stab jacket.

Firstly - yes, a lot has changed, and regardless of what the PADI-bashers might say (and, if I might put my Moderator hat on briefly, let's just not go there, folks!), most of that change in terms of safety, technique, equipment design and utilisation has been change for the better.

Secondly - the official PADI refresher is the "Scuba Review", which is, by definition, intended to refresh the knowledge and technique of somebody who has been out of the water for a while, but not really designed to cater for divers with such an extended leave of absence. Some of the centres I worked for offered a more comprehensive "Refresher" if necessary - which was basically a whole day with classroom sessions including portions of the Open water DVD, theory, and two dives (one confined water and one in deeper water) to re-introduce divers to the water and familiarise them with new equipment and techniques.

As your mum is an instructor - perhaps suggest this to her and speak to dive centres to see if they can do something like this - possibly on a friendly 1-1 basis. It will probably cost a lot more, but perhaps will make her feel more comfortable than participating in a busy "scuba review" program. Maybe you can get some pool time together and hold her hand while she gets used to the sensations again.

Any decent dive centre or instructor would be able to cater for this - I have a few contacts out in Aus but not, as far as I am aware, anywhere near Adelaide but I might be able to get a recommendation depending on where you're planning to dive.

Hope that helps a bit,

Cheers

C.

I was pretty amazed at how much changed from when I first learned Scuba in 1969 and again just before the turn of the century. I was glad to do the whole class over again and fill in all the details I would have had to figure out by trail and error.

I think if I were out that long, I would want a bit more than a few hours of a Scuba review.

I think the idea of a 1-1 with an instructor sounds like a good idea - that way she can get a tailored program with exactly what she needs and less of a rush.

I took a ten year absence at one time and went back and did the course again, but I was only OW at that time. She's an ex instructor so it should be different as she was far more experienced. She obviously needs some sort of a refresher course as its been awhile since she dived but I'd suspect a "refresher" would be adequate providing she's only diving and not planning on instructing.

Your mum's situation is unique in that she already had a fair amount of training. In my case, I certified OW with NAUI and logged a couple dives before about a 20 year hiatus. Next up was much academic self-study and learning what changed over the last couple decades.

My first time back in the water was a DSD with my wife, after which I did a 1-1 refresher with a PADI instructor and a nitrox class. I did an eye-opening quarry dive not long after that and realized the need to get some additional training. For me, a GUE Primer was money well spent, and I'm working on motivating one of my co-workers to do AOW and Rescue together.

The guy who introduced me to scuba was originally NASDS certified (not an instructor). He had been out of diving for about 20 years, and was fine with a NAUI led refresher course. I can't speak for PADI. We took a nitrox course together because some boats gave him a little bit of a hard time, having never seen an nasds card before. The NAUI nitrox card solved that problem.

Are we trying to save money or are we trying to be safe (& confident & happy)?

You imply she is a little nervous. I suggest she start from scratch. Take the OW class. And come out a confident, well trained star student! She can then use her newly informed judgement & old cert cards as required to gain dive site access...

She should be a quick learner for some things (hence a boost to her confidence) and she will feel free to ask any kind of dumb question for those areas that are new or have changed (like ascent rate).

The cost and time to start over is a small investment compared to the time she has remaining in her life. If scuba is to be a part of it, do not skimp. Encourage her to spend your inheritance on things that she will enjoy..

I find it hard to believe that only PADI is available in Australia. What about NAUI, CMAS, SDI, SSI, etc.
I just found 6 SDI Dive Centers in New South Wales, 3 in Queensland, 4 in Victoria around Melbourne, and if I had time could likely locate more as well as individual instructors. Whoever told you only PADI was available was mistaken or ......
not being entirely truthful. Mum would not like that I think.

There are other agencies available in Australia, although PADI and SSI have the largest presence - but let's take it back to the original post. The lady in question is a former instructor; a lot has changed in the last 20 years but the basic principles remain the same. What she needs is some time in the water to remember the best of what she already knows, regain her confidence and get comfortable with new gear. It's not agency specific.

I think that "mum" should be applauded for recognising that - despite her prior experience - she needs a re-introduction to something she hasn't done for 20 years. I think we should steer clear of what agencies offer and recommend something that will cater to her own personal needs, rather than ticking agency boxes - and I say that as a full-time PADI professional instructor.

Cheers,

C.

Back
Top Bottom