DIY "cinch" Quick Adjust DIR Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several UTD quick adjusts on my rental BCDs. I find just the one side works well instead of doing both. What I did before those was this; you can cut the shoulder harnesses and add some webbing and some tri-glides near the back plate.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1 for the UTD system. I only installed it on the right side also, it makes getting in/out of the harness really easy

I think you go with what works best for you. I prefer to have the strap harness be more toward the center of the back plate and not moving around.
Hard for me to sit still so changed my rig again and got rid of the D rings in the above posts on my plate. Made clips for myself and a friend with an Apeks plate that has longer slots. He got to dive his and loved them. A lot easier getting into the rig if you throw it in the water and then get in and often change what thickness wetsuit or wear a drysuit. A lot easier on my bad shoulders as well.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 186
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 159
The DSS version has a couple of problems. As you noted, it is designed specifically for DSS plates

Quite true, only DSS Stainless Steel plates will have the necessary pair of mounting holes.

and fits into the the special notch they have.

There is no special "notch" on DSS plates or the Glide Harness Adapter required for fitment of this accessory.

The other problem is if you want one on both sides of your plate. Tobin will only sell you one because it is not designed to be adjustable on both sides.

The DSS GHA is unique in that it is very low friction. That means one can actually tighten or loosen the harness while standing. Most (all?) other systems require the diver either be in the water, or sitting down so the tanks are resting on a table or bench, meaning no load on the harness. If two GHA's were fitted to a single plate there is a real risk that the plate and tanks could drop off the diver when adjusting the harness while standing.

In reality as others have noted easier donning and doffing require only one shoulder strap be extended. If one needs to adjust both shoulder straps they will also need to adjust the crotch strap, and very likely adjust the position of all of the drings. The DSS GHA is not intended to be an adjustable harness accessory, but a means to make donning and doffing easier for those with a limited range of motion.

Tobin

. . .
The DSS GHA is unique in that it is very low friction. That means one can actually tighten or loosen the harness while standing. Most (all?) other systems require the diver either be in the water, or sitting down so the tanks are resting on a table or bench, meaning no load on the harness. . . .

Tobin

Not quite, the UTD Quick adjust allows easy adjustment while standing. Mine is on the right side only and I always get the final adjustment done after standing up.

Not quite, the UTD Quick adjust allows easy adjustment while standing. Mine is on the right side only and I always get the final adjustment done after standing up.

Apparently you have some unique interpretation of the word "most"

Tobin

Apparently you have some unique interpretation of the word "most"

Tobin
Ahhh, but you said "most (all?)" implying you were not aware of an alternative. It was my distinct pleasure to expand your knowledge of alternative dive hardware.

Apparently you must have mispoken

I was unaware of your claims, but I clearly indicated there might be alternatives. That's hardly a case of "mis speaking"

Please be aware that after your last er, uh, well inability to grasp facts I simply delete your PM's

Tobin

I was unaware of your claims, but I clearly indicated there might be alternatives. That's hardly a case of "mis speaking"

Please be aware that after your last er, uh, well inability to grasp facts I simply delete your PM's

Tobin
Awesome. Thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom