Best bang for the buck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you're in Gainesville, head to Cave Country Dive Shop and talk to Kristi and Jon. Likely will end up with Dive Rite XT regs, which I recommend as best bang for the buck

by the by, we did stop by Cave Country... snagged a hollis octo from their demo bin for $70. They actually didn't have a whole lot in store in terms of regs (what they did have was out of our price range). But super helpful nonetheless so thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for all the suggestions and lively debate :)

beaverdivers hooked me up with a great deal on a Scubapro Mk11/s360 combo plus octo... definitely the best price around. Came in tested, assembled, and ready to go! A+!

The hubby ended up with an AtomicZ2 setup.

We're excited to explore some local spots this summer!

Im not going into THE BEST argument. I will, however, say that I have owned dozens of different regs throughout the years. The HOG d1 and classic is one I highly recommend. But also the Edge Epic. You can get both in Yoke. I dive in lakes so I have have the sealed 1sts. The Edge comes with braided hose and swivel. It is extremely comfortable and breathes great!
The HOG Classic is bullet proof and breathes just as well.

Are they the best, Hell I dont know. But i would definitely prefer them over a few others that have been mentioned. D1 and classic is downright cheap for how it performs.

OOPs, Sorry I just read that you bought a SP. Awesome! Enjoy and happy diving

I have been really happy with my Mk 21/S560 set that I bought for myself this year. I was actually looking at the Mk25/S600, but my dive shop owner told me the only real difference between the 560 and 600 is the 560 has more plastic on it. I have a good shop owner who has regularly talked me into cheaper gear than I was looking at because he thought it would actually suit my needs better, and he said as far as Scubapro goes that reg setup is going to be the nicest reg for the least money. I use the Air2 for my alternate, so I can't say much on that end.

I looked through the previous posts to see if anyone mentioned this, (I did not see it and if mistaken please forgive my redundancy), but I am a reletively new diver who bought equipment last December. When I purchased regulators I talked to a professional service tech who is a friend of the family. He persuaded me against the Mares regulator I was considering and instead recomended a HOG classic 1st and 2nd stage set up ( yoke mount). I have to say I love it. It's very tough, rugged, and breaths quite easily. You have full adjustment for inhalation and breathing control and they come standard with the light flexible hoses which help lighten the load in your dive bag. One feature of HOG regs is that the company offers a class you can take to teach you how to service your own regs. While the class is not inexpensive, the service kits themselves are around $30. So, for some up front cost you could effectively free yourself from the need to have a service shop where you dive to look after your regs. I realize this is not for everyone but for the DYI individual or someone who truly wants to understand their equipment this is a great feature and, I think, an excellent bit of knowledge edge to have. You could simply carry a couple of kits in your dry box along with a few tools and break your regs down whenever and wherever you needed.

Back
Top Bottom