Best bang for the buck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nh16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

My husband and I are looking into buying our own regulators/octopuses. There's a lot out there so we wanted to get a sense of what this community uses. We're typical vacation divers- we're advanced open water certified through PADI but we tend to stick to shallow warm water locales (we just want to hang out with reef fishies!) with the occasional 70-90ft dive. We dive a few times a year but are looking to do more local dives from our boat (Florida-Gulf waters) so we figured it would make sense to look into buying regs instead of perpetually renting.

Any recommendations or things to keep out for when shopping? Looking back through this forum there seems to be some love for the ScubaPro MK series and Mares Abyss series. We're looking for something reliable, easy to maintain (something that most dive shops can service), not terribly expensive (not looking to cheap out, but we don't want to spend crazy money on it either).

Thanks!!

you're in Gainesville, head to Cave Country Dive Shop and talk to Kristi and Jon. Likely will end up with Dive Rite XT regs, which I recommend as best bang for the buck

Hey all,

My husband and I are looking into buying our own regulators/octopuses. There's a lot out there so we wanted to get a sense of what this community uses. We're typical vacation divers- we're advanced open water certified through PADI but we tend to stick to shallow warm water locales (we just want to hang out with reef fishies!) with the occasional 70-90ft dive. We dive a few times a year but are looking to do more local dives from our boat (Florida-Gulf waters) so we figured it would make sense to look into buying regs instead of perpetually renting.

Any recommendations or things to keep out for when shopping? Looking back through this forum there seems to be some love for the ScubaPro MK series and Mares Abyss series. We're looking for something reliable, easy to maintain (something that most dive shops can service), not terribly expensive (not looking to cheap out, but we don't want to spend crazy money on it either).

Thanks!!
Everyone is going to have their favorite, mine is the HOG D1 and the "Classic" secondary. Well proven design, rock solid performance. About $75 less than the Dive Rite XT (at least on the DRIS site). If you go down that route, drop Jim Lapenta (jimlap212@comcast.net ) an email. He's a regular on the board and will make you a good deal.

I started out with the HOG D1 and Classic 2nd stage, as suggested upthread.

I now have several regulator sets, and most of them are Conshelf XVIs. Parts and service are available anywhere, good hose routing for most setups, and you can get them cheap on ebay. They work fine as long as you don't need extra ports for a hoseless air integrated computer or a dry suit.

used regulators from the big brands (SP/AL/Zeagle) are the best bang for the buck. get em cheap enough and you're still ahead even after servicing.

If you are looking to save money, used is definitely the way to go, as long as you have someone helping you who knows how to evaluate regulators. You couldn't pay me to buy a new regulator with all the great deals on used stuff. I once bought 5 SP 2nd stages; 3 109s and 2 air1s for $100 from a dive shop; they were just sitting in a bucket in the back service area. One of the 109s is apparently brand new (well, 30 years old but never used) and I actually don't use it because I don't want to scratch it. The irony of not wanting to use a $20 regulator because it's 'too perfect' is really something. Anyhow, I'm wandering....

A used SP Mk2/R190 will serve your purposes fine, you shouldn't pay any more than $75 for one set, maybe another $75 to get it serviced, and you'll be good to go for 5 years. A used aqualung titan would be another great choice.

The only issue with HOG is that as far as I know they come in DIN and you should not buy a DIN regulator, no matter what anyone tells you on this forum. As a vacation diver in this part of the world 99% of the charters and resorts will be offering yoke tanks, and DIN regs will not work on them without an adapter. If you can get HOG regs in yoke, fine. But don't buy DIN, it's really one of the few mistakes you can make with a recreational diving regulator, other than spending too much money or getting something that can't be easily serviced.

go to ebay. pick up MK20/25 as first stage G250 as second. take them for service and you have best regs ever built.

...The only issue with HOG is that as far as I know they come in DIN and you should not buy a DIN regulator, no matter what anyone tells you on this forum. As a vacation diver in this part of the world 99% of the charters and resorts will be offering yoke tanks, and DIN regs will not work on them without an adapter. If you can get HOG regs in yoke, fine. But don't buy DIN, it's really one of the few mistakes you can make with a recreational diving regulator, other than spending too much money or getting something that can't be easily serviced.

I just don't get this. A DIN/Yoke adapter is super easy to use and is not that big of a deal to carry in your travel bag. In the NCFL area (where the OP lives), and South FL/West Palm.. DIN tanks are pretty common.

Poseidon regs have been in the 'DIN+Adapter' configuration for years, and I have never heard of anyone having issues with it. If you get used to diving DIN, I bet you will only dive a Yoke reg if you are forced to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom