Loose rules in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, I learned there will be a 320 foot long boat sunk near Fort Lauderdale, I made time to go and dive it. I live in Houston but have my gear in Florida as well.

I arrive to Fort Lauderdale, go to a new (for me) place that banks nitrox. I wanted only one tank with nitrox, a 2nd reef dive I can do on air.

I am told that one of my two tanks is missing a visual inspection sticker. I got them both inspected 2 months ago at another unrelated place, evidently, that store forgot to stick one sticker. I am told that for $15, they will do inspection and give me air. I figure that I am not losing all that much and give a go ahead. So, the fill guy asks me what sticker I want on my tank, for air or nitrox... I figure that air sticker will do.

While I was standing there, my tanks never left my view, the dude put on a sticker and started pumping air... The tank was never disassembled. Now I wish I opted out for a nitrox sticker, it would have been even more amusing.

When I paid, no one asked for my nitrox certification for the other tank.

Went diving Lady Luck on two separate occasions with two different outfits. 100 feet, strong current. Elected to dive solo each time. No one asked me for my solo or even open waters cert. Cool.

Not that I have a problem, just odd. In Houston one doubtfully can get an air fill without an ow cert.

Next time - caves. Just kidding...

Last edited:
Don't really want to point fingers, I want to be able to shop there (will pass on any services like inspection, though).

Last edited:
Did you live drop on Lady Luck or did they tie in to the wreck?

There was a tie in. The current was crazy strong. Lower depth, stronger current. At 70 feet it was stronger than my ability to swim. Any higher, it was even stronger. Thus, I always wonder how DMs attach their rope in such conditions, the jump should be so precise!

Yhea, I was going to say the current is crazy. My buddy and I did a live drop on it and we dropped about 200ft south of the bow and we caught the rear mast or we would have been blown off. Very cool wreck though and well worth the time to dive. As I stated in another post about the Lady Luck, I just wish I had more time on her as there is PLENTY to see.

very cool wreck...i have been on it three times and the current was running every one of those dives...

Buddy system is not mandatory so why would anyone enforce it? Fortunately, this is not Maldives where solo diving is prohibited by the government. And, if you are so concerned about safety, diving 100 ft on Nitrox is borderline.

Really? Since when?

I was thinking the same thing. If you are diving EAN36, then yeah that's a problem. But if you are diving something less say EAN30, then I don't really see the issue.

But then again, I'm a new diver so I may be missing something

Back
Top Bottom