Lessons Inspection Stickers and Jupiter Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that VIPs are a situation just waiting for problems, especially since they are a 'custom' not a regulatory standard. I am a PSI inspector, and I CHOOSE to play the game, and renew evry 3 years. I would prefer that everyone did, so we could say that the credential means something. I don't mind paying Mark for the renewal course, since I always learn something from him in a class. Yes, he is a businessman,. But, he (and Bill High before him) is also working to make the process a professional function, which is good for our industry.

I remember right after I got PSI certified, I had two tanks refused by a local shop. I started quizzing the shop monkey on how to do a Vis, and they had no idea. They learned from the store manager, who learned from the guy before, who learned from the guy before. There's just no consistency at all when it comes to who can or can't do a vis. Putting a shop name on a sticker is meaningless to me.

I am waiting for a refusal over my sticker (none to date)... No, not PSI, and my sticker, as well as my certification is another agency. I have my cert # written on it in marker... Thankfully, diving at home or a planned weekend of diving has me able to supply my group of 3 family members with tanks, and not relying on a shop to fill my tanks...

My own compressor is a real plus (not a financial advantage)....

I am waiting for the refusal from my sticker (none to date)... No, not PSI, and my sticker, as well as my certification is another agency. I have my cert # written on it in marker... Thankfully, diving at home or a planned weekend of diving has me able to supply my group of 3 family members with tanks, and not relying on a shop to fill my tanks...
Mine was in 2003, but none since.

I think that VIPs are a situation just waiting for problems, especially since they are a 'custom' not a regulatory standard. I am a PSI inspector, and I CHOOSE to play the game, and renew evry 3 years. I would prefer that everyone did, so we could say that the credential means something. I don't mind paying Mark for the renewal course, since I always learn something from him in a class. Yes, he is a businessman,. But, he (and Bill High before him) is also working to make the process a professional function, which is good for our industry.
But why should PSI be the only recognized agency? Are you saying any of us who are certified by a different agency are inferior? I hold a cert from Cylinder Training Services..

Seems PSI is merely a lobbyist.... Doing their best to advance their own agenda, undermining the others in aiding the safety of the "industry"...

No they are taking an unrelated section of the CFRs, putting their own creative non-lawyer creative spin on it, turning that into a bogus legal "requirement" and lastly they are using that as an opportunity to sell their product and denigrate every other scuba VIP agency/instructor as somehow inferior.

No they are taking an unrelated section of the CFRs, putting their own creative non-lawyer creative spin on it, turning that into a bogus legal "requirement" and lastly they are using that as an opportunity to sell their product and denigrate every other scuba VIP agency/instructor as somehow inferior.

Isn’t this agency bashing? (Said while donning a flameproof suit).

Whoa! Don't read something into my post that wasn't there!!

I - in NO way - suggested that PSI was the ONLY recognized agency! It just happens to be the one I was originally credentialled by. As one example, ITI has its own certification 'agency' for inspections. And, I teach through SDI/TDI so I am obviously an enthusiast for that entity. I maintain ONE inspection credential simply because of history, and convenience, not any particular preference.

I also understand the difference of opinion about the possible 'motives'. I think Bill High originally was motivated by a desire to professionalize the process. And, Mark has continued that in the PCI/PSI space. Yes, I also readily agree that he has enhanced the 'business' of the process. But, that - for me - does not offset the continued desire to make the process more professional. (And, if it wasn't a 'business', other groups would not be pursuing their own credentialling processs.)

Frankly, based on the available data, the number of times that there are problems detected by visual inspections is quite small. Since we moved away from the weaker (aluminum) alloy, that is particularly true. And, the argument could therefore be made that visual inspections are unnecessary. But, when a problem does come up, it can be 'explosive' - catastrophic may be a milder term. So, just as I accept annual professional licensure renewal fees (in my primary - health care - profession), I accept the periodic fees I pay for the inspector credential.

Isn’t this agency bashing? (Said while donning a flameproof suit).
Well they aren't a agency in the government sense of the word. And they aren't a scuba agency either. They are a private company using the squishy language of the regulations to promote their business as the best and only business. The regulatory language, and especially PSI's interpretation (one of several possible), has never been affirmed by PHMSA, DOT, or any court. I don't even need lexus nexus to search that since if it had been affirmed PSI would be tooting that day after day :)

I made my own VIP decals for years. I did a careful inspection and then put the decal on the cylinderr. A VIP has no legal requiremnt, it is an industry practice and often shops do not accept "other" shop stickers. When I go to Florida, I rent the cylinders for boats dives and for beach/other dives, if I get grief, I just buy an aluminum 63/80. Once, I left the cylinder on the beach at the Anglin Pier for donation to whoever might want it. I came back the next day just for a little beach time before flying out and the cylinder was still where I left it. Can you believe it!

Back
Top Bottom