Lessons Inspection Stickers and Jupiter Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe8mofo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
TLDR: Dove 3 days with Jupiter Dive Center and had my tanks filled 8 times without issue. After the last trip got back to dock I requested my tanks be filled again and Marcello condescendingly refused and stated that my VIS stickers didn't have a dive shop name on them and that he wouldn't be filling them.

My tanks are visually inspected and O2 cleaned annually by a local instructor who is certified as a gas blender, visual tank inspector, and O2 service tech. His certification number is written on the VIS stickers.

I have been diving with Jupiter Scuba Diving for over a decade and have NEVER encountered an issue like this here or elsewhere.

This wreaks of a money-grab along with encountering a "Petty Functionary with a Clipboard."

If I had been booked on the afternoon trip I would have been faced with cancelling the afternoon charter or renting tanks.

It seems a little "power" goes to some people's heads and they feel like they can treat others like crap just because.

The rest of the staff was courteous and overall A+, but this one guy has to screw it up for the entire shop.

TLDR: Ensure your VIS stickers are not generics

So apparently I have generic stickers that are not controlled by the inspection agency "PSI" and this is my fault; NOT the fault of Jupiter Dive Center.

I have to ensure that VIS/O2 Cleaning are not resulting in generic stickers

Post a picture of your sticker that was declined.

Photo of VIS sticker

Attachments

• 20231129_111438.jpg
    20231129_111438.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 124
Post a picture of your sticker that was declined.
If it was a PSI sticker, I'd email PSI and ask them to talk to JDC.
Photo of VIS sticker
That's not a PSI sticker, it is an anyone-can-buy-one-off-the-internet sticker.
The handwritten apparently PSI number (U17868) is not compelling.
Why are month and year on the sticker twice? It does not make any difference whether the tank is O2 clean or just "premix" clean....there is just one inspection date.
JDC has some reason to be suspicious.

That is a "generic" VIP sticker -- I cannot fault the fill station guy for not recognizing it.

Even though the inspectors' cert number is on the sticker it does not reveal what agency the cert number is from. We see fraudulent VIP stickers like this frequently.

Your buddy needs to get stickers from the agency he is certified through.

If it was a PSI sticker, I'd email PSI and ask them to talk to JDC.

That's not a PSI sticker, it is an anyone-can-buy-one-off-the-internet sticker.
The handwritten apparently PSI number (U17868) is not compelling.
Why are month and year on the sticker twice? It does not make any difference whether the tank is O2 clean or just "premix" clean....there is just one inspection date.
JDC has some reason to be suspicious.
PS
Those Amazon stickers are about 20x the price of the "real" stickers from PSI. Why would anyone who is actually a PSI inspector buy them from Amazon?

Are you angry that you got away with an amazon sticker 8 times or angry that you didn't on the ninth time?
Their compressor, their rules.

JDC has always been a bit of a pain about fills. I personally always used Force E when I needed fills. Their refrigerated fill tanks are pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom