2 DCS hits and a PFO closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. Thanks for posting.

Agree. No one "deserves" to get bent. I usually use the term "unexpected" rather than "undeserved" for divers that "did everything right" and still suffered DCS.

Agree. No one "deserves" to get bent. I usually use the term "unexpected" rather than "undeserved" for divers that "did everything right" and still suffered DCS.

I agree! Until we found the PFO I tried to figure out the first hit as I had some overexertion and thermal stress on that dive so I attributed the hit to that. As far as the last one goes, everything was executed as perfect as possible and I even started carrying a 50% stage to begin off gassing sooner after some advice from a buddy but the result of the dive was DCS. Dr. Ebersole told me something to the tune of it was pretty much luck if it didn't happen and bad luck if it did, there's no predicting it.

If 25% of divers are potentially at risk to DCS from PFO, are there pre-condition checks that we as divers can ask for in the form of a fairly unobtrusive test from our GP to order up? 25% seems like high odds, and using an already "bent" condition as an indicator that we have this seems like we have already forayed past the casual diving point that many of us take with this sport.

3 of my dive buddies have had their PFO's closed and to this day are still diving deep after it. Wait til you start diving again, all of them said it was a huge change in how they felt after a dive as compared to pre-pfo.

10 hours and walking out??!!!! Dang, Dr. Ebersole must have some cool new toys to do it now !! (P.S. I just saw him on the dive boat 3 wks ago)

I have to say I am confused about PFOs. Here we see testimonials, andmy student is an absolute beleiver that closing her PFO has changed her life for the better in all aspects, not jsut diving.

Yet the literature for this is not at all convincing. If you call DAN about PFOs, they will be more than a little dismissive--no big deal for diving. (That was my student's experience--don't bother getting it fixed--it won't make any difference.

If 25% of divers are potentially at risk to DCS from PFO, are there pre-condition checks that we as divers can ask for in the form of a fairly unobtrusive test from our GP to order up? 25% seems like high odds, and using an already "bent" condition as an indicator that we have this seems like we have already forayed past the casual diving point that many of us take with this sport.

Your GP can order a Transthoracic Echocardiogram (TTE) with a bubble study to rule out a PFO. I had a Transesophageal Echo w/ bubble study done which I believe has to be done by a Cardiologist and is more invasive and requires sedation. It wasn't bad at all though. PFO's increasing the risk of DCS I believe is more geared towards decompression divers but can occur in an everyday ow recreational dive.

Last edited:
.....Yet the literature for this is not at all convincing.....

I think it's because the "feeling" part is 100% subjective and the science guys hate that. It's akin to ......ask anyone who dives 36% Nitrox and if they "feel better" than using 21%. Most all will say YES. Or helium at 150ft and they feel "clearer/alert". Now ask everyone who's had a PFO closed if they "feel" better after diving and most will say YES.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom