Hello from NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sionol

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi All, I'm very new to the diving community. I have done the academic and pool portions of my PADI certification, but I have yet to do my check out dives. I was supposed to do two in Cozumel over the New Year holiday but the weather would not cooperate. So I'm looking for somewhere (warm) to go to in February on the East Coast to get these 4 dives done, hopefully over one weekend. Any recommendations? Anyone know of any group trips for newbies like myself? Thanks for any and all feedback!

This may be later than you want but I hosting a trip to St Croix July 1-8. You could finish up there and do a lot more diving. Let me know if you want the info on that trip. I have good group rates and you can get a better rate if you bring a friend to share your room.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida.....come on down. were nice and cozy with lots of dive shops in the area....use google and get ready to enjoy the underworld.

This may be later than you want but I hosting a trip to St Croix July 1-8. You could finish up there and do a lot more diving. Let me know if you want the info on that trip. I have good group rates and you can get a better rate if you bring a friend to share your room.
Thank you for the idea but July is a little later than what I'm looking for.

From what I see S. Florida waters in winter are maybe 5-10F warmer than Jersey in August. I hear many of the locals use 3-5 mil wetsuits, though I wouldn't. Depends on cold tolerance. For warmer you probably need the Caribbean. I've been to Bermuda before I was a diver and that was warm water for me (Gulf Stream)--and closer to NJ.

Go to SE Florida. Ft. Lauderdale up to Jupiter is good diving but due to the depths involved and potential for current I do not think that you are qualified for those dives yet. Ft. Lauderdale has some shallow reefs but Key Largo is good for beginners. Check out Rainbow Reef for OW referral dives.

Does your dive shop have any recommendations for a shop in Florida?

I don't have any specific suggestions about where to go to do your checkout dives but thought I'd say hello, I lived in South Orange for many years, now in West Orange... which dive shop are you training with??
-Seth

I don't have any specific suggestions about where to go to do your checkout dives but thought I'd say hello, I lived in South Orange for many years, now in West Orange... which dive shop are you training with??
-Seth
Underwater Adventures in Millburn

+1 for the Keys. Lots of shallow sites that are good for training. I tend toward the cold side, and I've been comfortable diving a 3mm suit in the keys in winter.

Underwater Adventures in Millburn

I went with them last year to Bonaire, that would have been perfect for you, i guess they don't have anything coming up in your time frame...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom