How did you know you were narked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On an "advanced" class dive many years ago, the instructor had us dive to the bottom at about 120 feet as fast as possible. It was very cold, and, as we reached the bottom, it became obvious that I had no idea what was going on. It was a nightmare and everything seemed very far away. My response time to everything was extremely slow. I have not been so severally narked before or since. If a real emergency had occurred, I don't think I could have dealt with it. This was a great lesson and really got my attention. If this was all I'd got from this class, it would have been well worth it. Narcosis is real, and a very bad thing to be avoided.

The first time, I ran out of air (not a big deal because of no SPG, it was a usual evolution) but I was deep. I think "crap!" and head to the surface fast, until I realize I had not pulled the j-valve for the reserve, so l pulled the reserve and continued to the surface normally, and calmly.

J-valve? I cant operate one stone sober on Sunday morning!

I have never been narc'd except at the dentist. I don't have enough dives.

In me it is a intermittent thing and on deep dives, don't notice nothing 30m and above, I did two deep dives recently, and the deepest one, not a thing, the second was only 2m less depth and I was already narked around 35m and still on my way down, it was actually the first time that I notice the difference, as more you dive, you are more aware of your self and can compare dive to dive to see the difference, for what I hear here in SB as you get older you get more intolerant which seems logical as you body can take less.

When I tried to sit at the table in the wreck at 178' to drink rum with the two pirates and the 3 wenches...

Jim...

A fish told me so.

And then there was the time I made it to the bottom, and there was absolutely nothing there. And I was thrilled about it.

When I felt like this on my first 200 ft air dive on a wreck
giphy.gif

But probably looked more like this
giphy (3).gif

. . .All it took was three forceful & physically exerting frog kicks into a stiff current at 80m/262ft depth, and I was instantly overcome with a narcotic CO2 retention/poisoning hit:

Spiraling out-of-control Hyperventilation & difficulty breathing the regulator because of high gas density & flow viscosity of the Deep Air mix with resulting Hypercapnia coming on immediately. In the dim ambient light, the only thing I was able to perceive was my Dive Computer flashing an extreme PPO2 Warning prompt of 1.9, and it took a few minutes focused concentration not to panic, just to hang onto a support beam of the Oil Rig structure and try to relax & regain a nominal breathing rate & clear head before starting the ascent using a DPV scooter. (Note: Elevated CO2 also increases the likelihood of hyperoxic/Oxygen Toxicity seizures.)

The point is that a Deep Air bounce dive like above can be treacherous enough even if planned and prepared as a technical dive on double tanks with plenty of gas supply margin to recover at depth from Hypercapnia . . .It would be dangerous and near fatal tragedy at worst to make this mistake on a Single Tank!

Not at all pleasant and I don't want to do that again. . .

Back
Top Bottom