First cold water dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer to use my drysuit for bouyancy in single tanks. Its much warmer. Ocean Water right now is 45f. We are making 2 70 mins dives a day if boat diving or 1 90 min if shore diving. For most dives i am diving doubles so i put air in wing and ds, but if i get cool, i vent the wing and add to Ds. Having air in your suit for bouyancy control and warmth isnt a sin in my books. I use wing at the surface, and if suit fails i have redundancy. Why freeze or bother with the hassle of short dives. Weighting is the same.

Do you think everyone just has the $$ to run off to Mexico or the Caribbean?

I had the money to run off to Mexico or the Caribbean until I bought a drysuit. That was the cost of a 2-week Cozumel trip or a 1-week liveaboard.

In all seriousness, if you really get into the Great Lakes diving, you'll probably end up spending $10,000 in tech gear and training. I think we each choose our own devil. No matter which direction we take with our diving, it's gonna be expensive for most of us.

It's refreshing! There is a lot of history and beauty in the mountain lakes here and also I love diving off the west coast of Canada. Lots of life and action on the coast!

It's refreshing! There is a lot of history and beauty in the mountain lakes here and also I love diving off the west coast of Canada. Lots of life and action on the coast!

My front yard is a mountain lake, and I would not have it any other way. That said, swimming in it is a daily and refreshing joy in the summer, but diving it is a cold, green, low visibility ordeal with little reward. A few curious bass and trout, and some odd things gone overboard, but otherwise a bit barren and lifeless for me.

Attachments

• 14450055.JPG
    14450055.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 14460059b.jpg
    14460059b.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 14280012b.jpg
    14280012b.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 67
With this plentiful beauty a plane ticket south, I just don't get it. (from the Scubaboard 2017 Surge)

Attachments

• P1000005b.jpg
    P1000005b.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 54
  • P1000050b.jpg
    P1000050b.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 58
  • P1000107b.jpg
    P1000107b.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 53
  • P1000076b.jpg
    P1000076b.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 51
I'm a major, major history buff. I've been reading about Great Lakes wrecks for 25 years. I grew up watching Lakes freighters on the Detroit River in the summer. Fish are boring to me. Wrecks, on the other hand...

Story Map Tour (Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary wreck mooring map with links to wreck information)

Thunder Bay 3D Wrecks Project | NOAA & Fourth Element

The DM Wilson, Monohansett, and Montana are some of the wrecks I'll be diving in Thunder Bay:

Last edited:
Fish are boring to me. Wrecks, on the other hand...

That's cool. I am the exact opposite.

Here are some wreck shots from Cayman Brac:

Attachments

• P1000066.JPG
    P1000066.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 50
  • P1000067.JPG
    P1000067.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 38
  • P1000068.JPG
    P1000068.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I'm a major, major history buff. I've been reading about Great Lakes wrecks for 25 years.

The collection of Michigan Underwater Preserves is absolutely one of the seven wonders of the world! Eventually, after you are more advanced and after you have gained more experience, I am certain you will want to drive a little farther, around the corner, and dive the eastern Lake Superior shipwrecks off Whitefish Point, MI. Or a bit farther the other way, and dive the northwestern Lake Superior shipwrecks off Isle Royale National Seashore. Those natural shipwrecks are deeper and in colder water, and consequently remain in incredible states of preservation.

My favorites are the turn-of-the-century wooden schooners. There are lots of good pics on the 'net.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Oh, yes, plus the Cedarville in the Straits of Mackinac!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom