Thinking about Scuba. But nervous!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're about to do "discover Scuba Diving", rather than "Discover Scuba", then (if my understanding is correct and not outdated), your first try will probably be in the shallow end of a heated pool. You put on the gear and get used to being able to breathe underwater. Then, maybe how to float neutral underwater. I encourage you to try it this way rather than in a cold quarry, for your first experience with scuba.

Many shops offer that first dip for free, my LDS does it twice in fall and twice in spring, at the Tulane sports complex pool. That's how I started, though it was in a pool in Florida on vacation, followed by a 25' dive that weekend by the Palm Beach breakwater, with the same instructors. Then I was hooked. But, I didn't have that fear of a panic attack.

Your other sports tend to convince this bystander that you don't actually scare all that easily, once you get familiar with the sport you are undertaking. So try it in warm shallow water first, if you can. Then warm deeper water (the deep end of the same pool will work, especially if you can find one that's 10-12' at the deep end rather than just 6). Do a few fin pivots, get used to adjusting your buouyancy compensator jacket so you are "weightless" at a given depth, and notice how your inhales bring you up a little, and your exhales, down a little. Then you'll be more willing to try all this in colder water, I would think.

And don't let that bulky constricting feeling that dive gear, wet suit, weight belt, and mask can give you before you enter the water, panic or discourage you--once you get under, and get neutral, all that goes away and it's just mahhhvelous....

Where did you get this idea DSD is done the way you described? Maybe in tropical places, but it seems it's much more commonly done in a pool (maybe a shop's on site pool, maybe a lane a shop rents at a community pool). Free?

Weight belt, wet suit? If the DSD is done in a pool it will most likely be a jacket BC over her bathing suit.

When my friend wanted to go on a trip with me & try out scuba, I insisted she actually take the Open Water course & she's glad she did. She ran into an issue in the deep pool that would have been problematic if she ran into it in the shallow pool & then ocean where we were going.

While I think Discover/ing Scuba is interesting in some ways & I even did it myself many times before I became certified, I think it's far better to get full training. And have it be one-on-one with a well reviewed instructor, not a group. It not only ensures that the person being trained gets personal attention moving to the next step when they have fully grasped the current one, but it makes them a much better diver. And in your case, I think it would be even more beneficial giving you the confidence you need & reducing your stress. Side note: While it may be tempting, don't have your boyfriend join you during training. That never really ends up helping.

Happy diving!

NYCNaiad, Agree with everything as long as you have the $ for one on one. At our shop I believe it's considerably more.

The only thing you should be nervous about is paying for the training, gear, trips, etc.
If you play your cards right, you can work this into trips to warm blue waters with the BF and inlaws.

When my friend wanted to go on a trip with me & try out scuba, I insisted she actually take the Open Water course & she's glad she did. She ran into an issue in the deep pool that would have been problematic if she ran into it in the shallow pool & then ocean where we were going.

While I think Discover/ing Scuba is interesting in some ways & I even did it myself many times before I became certified, I think it's far better to get full training. And have it be one-on-one with a well reviewed instructor, not a group. It not only ensures that the person being trained gets personal attention moving to the next step when they have fully grasped the current one, but it makes them a much better diver. And in your case, I think it would be even more beneficial giving you the confidence you need & reducing your stress. Side note: While it may be tempting, don't have your boyfriend join you during training. That never really ends up helping.

Happy diving!

If you're unsure about diving, as I was, doing DSD is much wiser, cost wise, than paying for an entire course and discovering you don't like it ($80 vs $500). Prime example: when I did my DSD, an OW class was having its first pool session. One woman, perhaps early 50s, was doing the class with her husband. She had issues with going down into the deep end and not coming up when she wanted to, so she was sent over to my DSD which was just the instructor and I. She ended up not continuing with the OW class.

Agree. If you are unsure, the DSD is the way to go. But be sure the agency standards are being met--particularly in the tropics, where I've heard there can be an improper depth, or ratio of instructor to number of students. If you are sure you want to do it and are "water" experienced, I advise going right to the open water course.

Where did you get this idea DSD is done the way you described? Maybe in tropical places, but it seems it's much more commonly done in a pool (maybe a shop's on site pool, maybe a lane a shop rents at a community pool). Free?

Weight belt, wet suit? If the DSD is done in a pool it will most likely be a jacket BC over her bathing suit.

I thought that's how I was describing it. DSD in a pool which was free at Tulane, or $15 in Florida, and DS in "real" water with a one-on one matchup with an instructor (and a boat, which costs accordingly). No neoprene/weight needed for the former, but likely for the latter.

Anyway, that was my experience. Maybe I don't have my terms straight? And the neoprene/constricted feeling comment was meant for the DS jump-in, or any dives thereafter.

"horse back riding, mountain biking, kayaking" are all harder than rec diving in shallow water. Unless it's a giant wide $200 kayac, that doesn't count.

Grab your snorkle, fins, and mask and head over to your local Y and get used to swimming and snorkeling. Scuba is about the same thing just a little deeper.

You can practice filling and purging your mask while snorkeling as well. Grab a Scuba training book and read it ASAP. That way you know a little about what you need to before class. I learn best, when I've already skimmed the material before hand.

It'll be weird at 1st. I couldn't get enough air from my mouthpiece the 1st time. That was because I wasn't breathing deep enough. Inhale and exhale completely during discover. I was breathing to shallow and fast. That doesn't work well.

You'll bounce around, up and down, breathing deeply like that in shallow water. But after 30min or so you'll find a happy medium spot to breath at, and still be comfortable.

Go slow. Not having fun, or not understanding something, slow down and try it again. Ask questions, get as much pro help as you can.

My history is that I did a DSD about 10 years ago while on holiday at Centre Parcs in England. It lasted about 90 minutes IIRC and went from the basics of what the gear was and the important safety stuff like don't hold your breath. Then into the water and swim around. I did a bit of swimming and then just hung around under water watching everyone else go by - amazing feeling.

Fast forward 9 years and I had a weeks holiday free as well as some money so I decided to get qualified. Looked on line and found a shop about 2hrs away that would do a course mid week 1-1 with an instructor (it did cost a good bit extra though) and loved it with seeing lobsters, crabs, etc on my first OW dive. Now thoroughly hooked

I would definitely go this route again if I were at all stressed about being underwater. The DSD will be a minimal cost if not free (at some places anyway) and it will give you a chance to experience it in completely benign circumstances. If you are stressed though, give your instructor a heads up on it - means they can look after you better.

When I first started diving I could not swim and was terrified at being deeper then my feet could touch. I took my ex-girlfriend to Hawaii with me and we stayed at a very nice resort. As we were walking around there was a pool that was fairly deep and a guy standing beside it hustling people to discover scuba. The pool session was free so I decided what the heck. Dont ask me where my courage came from.

I got in and my heart was racing faster then any car in Nascar history but I am no quitter so I just said why not. Now in discover scuba of course there was no requirement to swim so I just went with the flow and fell in love. For a small fee we went to the ocean and well there I was again hooked line and sinker.

I came home pondered it for a while then signed up and had some angry words with my instructor. Of course it wasnt his fault I had to pass a swim test but the standards but hey he was the man standing in front of me so I gave him my opinion. He stared at me and said "When your done and you are ready we will get in the pool and I will work with you" So I got in the pool and nearly drowned. If he had not have told me to put my feet down who knows what would have happen in that 3 feet of water.

Anyway he showed me how to float and so I passed that test. Then putting 2 and 2 together he taught me how to wing it and I passed the swim test thanks to his devotion and dedication.

So when people tell me they are afraid I never force them to try it because thats how injuries happen. I instead tell them my story and be patient with them at their pace. I have seen so many people come in looking like they are saying good bye for the last time and almost in tears. And with a little patience they all but 2 have came through with over coming their fears.

One thing I tell all new diver candidates is that this is one of lifes most single life changing experiences that people walk away from with a new outlook on life. They face their fear and stare the unknown in the face and walk away having conquered it. You only get to experience that awe once in your life time from putting your head under water for the first time and breathing in the air but you get to watch it over and over again in the classes as new divers experience it and thank you ever so much.

So don't be nervous but dont rush it either. Just sit down and relax and know your instructor is going on your pace not his. He wants you to become a diver and will do every thing he can to help you become one. Take your time and breathe a little then experience a little. In no time at all you will begging your boyfriend to take you diving because you will fall in love with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom