Thinking about Scuba. But nervous!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What tips do you have for a new diver? I am going to do the discover scuba but I feel like I will have a panic attack!
What's the advice out there for people like me?​

Tell this to your instructor before you are in the water. Drowning is way more embarrassing than asking for a little extra attention. ( the thought of doing an Eskimo-roll in a kayak freaks me out)

Last edited:
I'd have 2 things to say...
- Get comfortable in the water (if you know you're able to swim properly, it removes that much stress...). That's my biggest tip and in my opinion the most important thing.
- Have fun :wink:, that's the second most important thing.

I am not talking about being able to swim 50m underwater on breath hold, I struggled with 10m breathholding swim when I started scuba :D (and I now probably still do, but there's gotta bea reason we carry those tanks :p ).

While others seem to dislike the cold dark waters, I found them very soothing when I did my courses here in Switzerland... It's a matter of taste I guess :)

My wife's greatest fear was deep water. But she grew to love snorkeling, and when I got qualified, she decided to give it a try. She loves it now, but still wouldn't even think about a deep dive.

If you're about to do "discover Scuba Diving", rather than "Discover Scuba", then (if my understanding is correct and not outdated), your first try will probably be in the shallow end of a heated pool. You put on the gear and get used to being able to breathe underwater. Then, maybe how to float neutral underwater. I encourage you to try it this way rather than in a cold quarry, for your first experience with scuba.

Many shops offer that first dip for free, my LDS does it twice in fall and twice in spring, at the Tulane sports complex pool. That's how I started, though it was in a pool in Florida on vacation, followed by a 25' dive that weekend by the Palm Beach breakwater, with the same instructors. Then I was hooked. But, I didn't have that fear of a panic attack.

Your other sports tend to convince this bystander that you don't actually scare all that easily, once you get familiar with the sport you are undertaking. So try it in warm shallow water first, if you can. Then warm deeper water (the deep end of the same pool will work, especially if you can find one that's 10-12' at the deep end rather than just 6). Do a few fin pivots, get used to adjusting your buouyancy compensator jacket so you are "weightless" at a given depth, and notice how your inhales bring you up a little, and your exhales, down a little. Then you'll be more willing to try all this in colder water, I would think.

And don't let that bulky constricting feeling that dive gear, wet suit, weight belt, and mask can give you before you enter the water, panic or discourage you--once you get under, and get neutral, all that goes away and it's just mahhhvelous....

Last edited:
What makes you nervous? Whatever it is, if you can, practice that in a controlled setting, like a pool, to overcome your nervousness.

Most folks are nervous about breathing underwater. If that's the case, I would advise to get very comfortable breathing underwater. As folks mention, snorkeling is a good substitute. If possible practice snorkeling.

It would be great if you could practice breathing from a regulator. You could even do it standing in a pool, with just your face in the water. To convince yourself that its fine, the regulator will deliver air, breathing underwater is not that much different than breathing on the surface (except its mouth breathing, as opposed to nose breathing)

Do it!! Think of all the fun you could have with your family!

As an instructor I love it when students tell me that they are nervous a little bit. We understand that it's new to you it's a new feeling. But that nervous feeling that you have is a good thing. Just make sure you tell your instructor your nervousness before your discover scuba and before taking class.

Another great point about the discover scuba is it actually preps you for the real class. So if you enjoyed the discover scuba you will be 1 step ahead in the class. You will have already breathed underwater for the fist time, you will have already had all of the gear on so you know what to expect. I find that the students that I teach if they have had a discover scuba before signing up, do a fantastic job in the actual course. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it! ....I know you will..

What's the advice out there for people like me?

Uhmm... ask Clayton Williams? </un-pc>

Seriously, though, ever tried riding downhill at Jackson Hole? I'm pretty sure a DS dive would be far less stressful. (Disclaimer: I haven't done either myself, I only watched.)

An interesting take on fear-- I STILL occasionally get the Heebee Jeebees when approaching water over my head when entering the ocean from shore for a swim. Not when swimming from a boat. No fear of 100'+ underwater on scuba. Who knows why...Maybe because my body is considerably more negatively buoyant than the norm?

Best to be very comfortable in the water before you strap on a bunch of gear, put a hose in your mouth, and go under.

If you are nervous about swimming in the ocean, holding your breath underwater, swimming around with your eyes open, best address that.

Baby steps for the anxious: 1. swim, .2. snorkel, 3. scuba.

Yea, if I were you. I would start off snorkeling in the swimming pool, then move it to the ocean, the go scuba diving. I wouldnt be worried. Just make sure that your with some on who knows what they are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom