Travel Friendly BCD (but not a "Travel BCD")

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:popcorn: what happened, you failed to negotiate dealer pricing you'd like for your shop?

When I'm not using a BPW this is what I am diving:

HOG Total Buoyancy Control System Package

I am a dealer so yes I'm biased but the system works and is one of the most customizable setups I've seen. The padding can be removed easily. Pockets and D rings positioned where you want them. And it really packs down small. The wing can be detached from the soft back easily. I could fit this into a roller back pack that would fit in the overhead bin.

I have an article that is included in my new book on back inflate style BC's. Most of the issues people have with them, especially new divers, is that they have not gotten proper instruction in how to set the rig up. Primarily in the area of correct weighting and weight distribution.

Many divers end up being over weighted. As a result they need too much air in the BC at depth and on the surface. This is what gives people the idea that a back inflate will push you face forward. It really doesn't. Too much weight and weight in the wrong place are what actually causes the problem.

I'm a big fan of the Zuma. For me it is the most comfortable BC in any catagory. The fact that it is lightweight and travel friendly is bonus. I've been using one for years and never had any problems. That being said, I am a recreational diver and dive maybe 40 dives a year.

On a warm water boat? Off the back of the boat :). Local diving is mostly shore diving, though. What would you recommend?

Oh, I've an Alu backplate, but I feel better with less stuff on/around me. My better half, OTOH, says she won't trust her life to that flimsy contraption and she wants to feel hugged and embraced, so she just bought a cressi aquapro. I pointed her at travelight but aquapro is a) cheaper and b) we rented them at least once somewhere -- we both remember the weight pockets -- and she thinks she felt OK in one of them then. It won't pack as nice though.

I've no problem carrying an Al80 to the back of the boat on just 2 shoulder straps of 2.5" webbing, our next trip will have some shore diving and I'll see if I ever feel like I need a hip belt...

And FWIW I've seen/rented more cressi bcds than any other brand.

Lots of great feedback, thanks!

By structure I mean, bottom line, is that it doesn't feel like you have a big metal tube strapped to your back :D. I.e., spreads the weight bearing/distribution around.

Are you sure you don't want a BP/W? Because what you described is exactly what the backplate does. It takes the point of contact of the tank and efficiently spreads it out over a large area of your back. Sorry for bringing it up. (someone will complain about it in three....two...one...)

Imagine a tank on its side on the floor, very unstable. Then attach a flat plate to it, lay that on the floor, and all the instability and rocking/rolling vanishes. It's not that different with your back.

I would not worry about structure or padding.

I am a vacation diver and when my first generic Sherwood BCD wore out (it developed a series of teeny tiny pinholes in the bladder material at a few rub points after 20 years) I struggled to find a lightweight BCD to replace it. All of the then current BCD's where big heavy monsters with super thick material. Built to last a lifetime?

I eventually bought a "light weight" Cressi travel BCD that actually weighed more than my old BCD. My old BCD had a flimsy backplate, the new one had none - this initially concerned me but turned out to be a non issue. Padding? My wetsuit provides padding. So I removed all of the padding from the cressi. Last trip I dove without a wetsuit and had no issues. Seems you do not need padding.

One thing to consider: is the BCD neutrally buoyant? My old one was, the Cressi was positive about 2 1/2 pounds. I had to add extra weight just to sink the BCD. This is 1 technical spec that none of the manufacturers talk about.

The cressi now weighs in at less than 4 lbs and packs up real small - great for plane travel.

I'm big fan of the Zeagles. Personally I have two and put my daughters in them when they started diving. For travel, single tank stuff I use the Scout. It is a little smaller than the Stilletto and has the features you talked about. Between teaching and playing it has well over a thousand dives plus pool work on it and is still as functional as the day it came out of the box. That being said, a couple of years ago my wife got the Zuma, she likes it so much she bought me one last spring. I don't have any complaints about it and am trying to get where I will grab it instead of the Scout, but the Scout is still my first choice. I also have the HOG that Jim recommends above which is replacing a well loved 15 year old Transpack. I haven't dove it yet since everyone borrowed it all summer to try it out. I hope it is everything I have heard, but that is for doubles.
All things being equal, those are all good quality and will serve you well. Before buying, I encourage my students to dive the BCs they are seriously looking at, even if only in a pool and get what works best for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom