Travel Friendly BCD (but not a "Travel BCD")

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdallen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to buy my first BCD. Most of my diving so far has been in warm water travel destinations so I'd like something that is relatively streamlined and packable. I'm aware there's a whole category of Travel BCDs, but they seem to be very lightweight, no structure, no padding type of setups (and potentially don't have integrated weights). That's not what I'm looking for... I'd like something with some structure to help distribute weight and just enough padding/support to make it comfortable, plus integrated weights and maybe a couple of small pockets. It would also be nice if I could wear it locally (if infrequently) with a 7mm wetsuit.

I love the fit of the Aqualung Dimension but it seems quite big, not very packable (and it has lots of plastic). The Aqualung Zuma seemed like a very light, unstructured "Travel BCD". I like the look of the Zeagle Stiletto. I also like the look of the ScubaPro Hydros, though it's hard to justify the expense... I don't have a lot of experience with back inflate setups but they seem to be more packable and the basic concept makes sense. Any other suggestions for something to look at in this category?

Oh, and I'm aware that many people here are advocates for BP/W setups. It's not something I'm interested in at this point, though.

I have a Oceanic BioLite... it's listed as a travel BCD. It's pretty bare bones, that being said it's comfortable for the few minutes you're in it above water, and under water is very nice. The only knock I have on them is they have no pockets/ storage. I keep kicking around the idea of adding a small pocket, but I get by using the D rings. All and all I'm happy with mine.

I'm looking to buy my first BCD. Most of my diving so far has been in warm water travel destinations so I'd like something that is relatively streamlined and packable. I'm aware there's a whole category of Travel BCDs, but they seem to be very lightweight, no structure, no padding type of setups (and potentially don't have integrated weights). That's not what I'm looking for... I'd like something with some structure to help distribute weight and just enough padding/support to make it comfortable, plus integrated weights and maybe a couple of small pockets.

Oh, and I'm aware that many people here are advocates for BP/W setups. It's not something I'm interested in at this point, though.

What do you mean by "structure"? A rigid plate is certainly the most stable "structure" in a BCD. As far as padding goes, IMO the less the better. Padding tends to do nothing to make the BC more comfortable in the water, which is where you are using it. It adds positive buoyancy, which means it introduces more buoyancy swing with depth changes and requires you to dive with more weight.

I would advise you to get a BC with an absolute minimum of padding, fabric, and bells/whistles, especially in the area of your torso and chest. They really do perform better in the water.

Many quality BC's come with neutrally buoyant padding no problem. Padding adds comfort to the rig.

The BC from SP indicated above is suitable for diving locally and is also light and compact when packed for travel.

Stiletto is a good compromise, Zeagle actually calls it a travel bc. Has all you want - the only limitation (which you didn't mention) is it's a single tank model only. It's got the Ripcord weight integration - nice because it uses hard/soft weights - even lead shot in the optional yellow weigjht pockets and if you have to use it, one pull drops both sides. It also has the 35lb. retracting (bungied) bladder which should be enough for single tank in your 7mil. I know a SoCal diver who uses one - sometimes with an extra wetsuit jacket and he has no problems.

I tried stuffing my XL into a airline-legal sized carry-on roller bag. I did get it in and zipped up but you wouldn't get much else in there with it - maybe some soft clothes. The last thing I like is the 1000 Denier fabric - some of the lighter ones (like the Zuma) are only 420 Denier.

It is heavy though - 7.5lbs.

I prefer a back-inflate over a jacket. When you're actually diving in horizontal trim having all the air on your back and most of the weight low and in front helps you maintain that position. Jackets are better at floating you vertical on the surface if you plan to dive there.

Last edited:
My pick Scubapro Knighthawk http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/bcs/products/knighthawk.aspx

It packs quite easily is solid with good sized stainless steel d-rings and doesn't have many frills, it have in-built trim weight pockets and integrated weights.

I prefer the back-inflate it gives a lot more freedom on the body. I also have a BPW set-up and they both feel much the same in the water.

My partner bought a Zuma but found it was a little light weight, the straps are only 38mm and the d-rings are plastic. The straps tend to twist. I wouldn't trust the d-rings with a camera. She now uses a Ladyhawk and is very happy.

Something like DiveRite Transpac XT with singles wing is a best choice, imho. One day you'll get the wing anyway, so why waste money?

Maybe a DiveRite TravelPac (i.e. a Transpac harness sewn on a Travel wing - TravelPac BCD | Dive Rite) with weight pockets added? Has been by wetsuit BCD for years and can't fault it.

The Zeagle Express Tech fit the bill for me. Not a "travel" BCD per se, but I packed it several times for trips with no problem. It has removable shoulder and back padding so you can trim it down a little if needed, although I've always packed it with the padding. It gets some pretty favorable reviews on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom