Is a 40cuft indefinitely useful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to concider a Faber lp 45. Nice balest for 20 feet if you start to get positive during deco

I would do this, except steel doesn't seem to be acceptable for deco/stage cylinders. I do really like the proportions of that cylinder. Viktovice has some really nice bottles I'd like to import and use personally:) even some as doubles. 27" long 5.5 " dia 300 bar ..

I would do this, except steel doesn't seem to be acceptable for deco/stage cylinders. I do really like the proportions of that cylinder. Viktovice has some really nice bottles I'd like to import and use personally:) even some as doubles. 27" long 5.5 " dia 300 bar ..

Not sure about that, lots people use LP72s for deco gas..

You will always find a use for a 40.
?

Olde-english.jpg

When I got into tech diving I purchased a pair of AL40's ... one for use with EAN50 and one for O2. They were useful for most of the tech dives I did down to about the 225 foot range, with deco times up to about 40 minutes. After that I needed larger deco tanks (AL80's).

I don't tech dive much anymore ... mostly Tech 1 type dives, where a single AL40 of O2 is useful. I use the other bottle for solo diving, as my redundant air source. So in this respect, I'd say yes, you will always find a use for an AL40.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most early tec courses are going to limit the amount of deco you can do. AFAIK that is around 30 min for the early courses so a 40 should be fine for that. Every tech diver I know has at least one 40 in the mix on their dives, even if it's just a spare O2 hanging on the line.

When I did TDI AN/DP and Helitrox, there were no limits given on the amount of time I can plan for deco. I think PADI's Tec 40 course may have a time limit for deco, but not the course the OP specifically stated. And PADI's Tec 45 is the equivalent to TDI AN/DP and I don't think Tec 45 has any limit on deco time, either.

A 40 will work fine for the training dives up through Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures. At least with the TDI courses due to the limits on deco for training.

What limits? The only limit I'm aware of for my deco is that I was only trained to carry and use one deco cylinder. But, even that is not a limit of AN/DP. The instructor is allowed to train students to use 2 deco cylinders if the instructor wants to - my instructor simply chooses not to.

And even with my current limits, I CAN use whatever size cylinder I want for deco. I'm actually on the hunt for a couple of AL80s to use (only one at a time, for now).

But, I can plan as long deco as I want, within the limits of only carrying one deco cylinder. And I think the deco time I could have with an AL80 is plenty enough for me! Right now, anyway.

Anyway, I definitely agree that an AL40 seems like it will continue to be useful indefinitely. My tech instructor has a plethora of them and continues to use them regularly. I suppose you could always just use AL80s instead, but why carry such a big cylinder when you don't need such a big cylinder?

@stuartv I believe @Jim Lapenta was referring to the limits during the training dives. i.e. you can't plan for a 60 minute mandatory decompression time in the course, not what the cert itself limits to you.

regarding the 80's. In cave diving I actually find the 80 to be just as convenient as the 40 to meander around with in the water, only advantage to the 40 is it's on land size and weight. I don't have to do much with the 80 though so if I was carrying it like I would be in OW, then I would definitely be on the hunt for a 40.

@DogDiver and @Doby45 do have a point though about the steels. They aren't uncommon in cave country. I'll actually be o2 cleaning a couple of 72's that I have for oxygen use when I get back from the UK, but in fresh water they have some less than ideal buoyancy characteristics that cause you to list pretty hard. May not be as bad in the ocean, but it's pretty annoying in fresh water

40 is good for oxygen, but really borderline for a 50% bottle. There just isn't enough gas to do your deco and maintain a reasonable reserve unless your decompression is quite short.

Back
Top Bottom