Don't Count on 20-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone is coming this summer, should they buy pesos now? And how would you do that?

If someone is coming this summer, should they buy pesos now? And how would you do that?
I wouldn't. You have just as much chance of taking a loss as making money. Also, unless you are wanting to buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of pesos, the potential gain is just not that great.

You don't have to pay any fees when you get your pesos?
Of course not, Schawb (and I have heard Fidelity also) offer totally free checking accounts with zero cost or balance requirements (I believe they would like any future brokerage business and offer it as a loss leader) and they pick up any ATM fees. When you withdraw currency from an ATM your bank has to reimburse the dispensing ATM's bank for the funds. Any fees or exchange rates charged to your are set by you bank, the ATM just gets a dispending fee. Schwab consistently charges me 0.15 MXN below the average Oanda rate. Makes it kinda nice to preload the account and just use it for travel and not have to get large amounts with each transaction, but I normally get pesos in 6K blocks anyway.

Of course not, Schawb (and I have heard Fidelity also) offer totally free checking accounts with zero cost or balance requirements (I believe they would like any future brokerage business and offer it as a loss leader) and they pick up any ATM fees. When you withdraw currency from an ATM your bank has to reimburse the dispensing ATM's bank for the funds. Any fees or exchange rates charged to your are set by you bank, the ATM just gets a dispending fee. Schwab consistently charges me 0.15 MXN below the average Oanda rate. Makes it kinda nice to preload the account and just use it for travel and not have to get large amounts with each transaction, but I normally get pesos in 6K blocks anyway.

I haven't examined my receipts all that closely but I did notice that I pay lower fees for fewer pesos so it didn't seem to make that much difference if I got smaller amounts and made withdrawals more often. Of course if there is a way to reduce or eliminate those fees I'd rather give the money to a local in the form of tips or whatever.

Using a Schwab debit card I got 19.25002 on March 7 with the Oanda rate at 19.5467, but that is with the ATM fees charged to the transaction.

It will be better than that once the fees are refunded. Last time I used a Bank Norte ATM it was $2.53 in fees, which would work out to a 19.44 exchange rate.

Pretty good way to get pesos.

Last edited:
How did it go?
On the 27th of February the average Oanda exchange rate was 19.895:1. I pulled out 5K MXN for a charge of 255.33 USD but the following day the ATM fee of $1.57 was refunded so the total cost was 254.76 USD which works out to 19.626 : 1
I am happy with only a 0.269 spread off FOREX but it was higher than the typical 0.15 difference I usually see.

I see that it's down to 18.66:1 today (April 7). I think I got mine (left with about $2400.00 MX) at about 20.4:1 so the difference ought to just about pay for my taxi from the airport (PVR) to my hotel next month :)

Anyone happen to know the current taxi rates in Puerto Vallarta? When I was there in 2013 it was $100 MX to the airport and $200 MX from the airport.

Back
Top Bottom