apeks ultralight plate vs aqualung zuma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnymo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am new to diving and am looking for a very lightweight travel bcd. I work on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. So that means that I have to pack everything I need for 4-6 months in 1 checked bag and 1 carry on. And with already packing fins, regs, mask, and snorkel on top of half a years worth of clothes, and other stuff. I've been looking at the aqua lung zuma, zeagle covert, and apeks ultralight travel plate, harness, and wing. I like the idea of being able to upgrade the bp/w but I need something that would be able to fold up and pack really well. Also, I'll primarily be diving in warm Caribbean water but like the idea of being able to dive in cooler water if needed.

No reason. They're ultralight travel plate seems nice because it appears flexible so I can put it in my bag but also very light. I'm open to other options

For ultralight plates, there is Apeks, Oxycheq, Zeagle, and UTD. All capable of taking webbing and a wing. The UTD looks closest to a real backplate with slots at the same locations as a metal one. Or you could do the HOG soft backplate/harness. Add a 25lb travel wing from DGX and you'll be set.

Add the Oxycheq Ultralight and Mares XR to your list of soft backplates. I think they are the least expensive plates at around $50.

I dive the Oxycheq with a DSS wing. Very lightweight and packable. Use a crotch strap to keep everything more secure.

full.jpg

Last edited:
I really like/own Zeagle but IIRC the Covert is 2.5lbs. lighter than the Express Tech soft plate rig as configured.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom