do companies offer this type of housing? why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michael Friesen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,
I don't know if someone is already doing this, but I haven't seen any. I am going to suppose that they do not and I was wondering why they wouldn't offer this as housing option:

A housing which can fit any DSLR currectly available and available in the future. Controls would be operated electronically and would be connected by cable to the camera since most if not all permit for a computer to control it.

The only reason why that I would think they wouldn't be interrested would be that they would'nt be able to sell you a new housing each time you want to upgrade. But I feel the interest from the clientele for such a housing would greatly outweigh that disadvantage, plus I am sure they could sell it for an extra premium price (plus sell software updates when changing cameras...)

What are your thoughts?

It's hard to imagine a control pannel suitable to be used underwater with 5 mm gloves. By it, a window, big enough to be able to fit every possible camera screen.
A Housing that fit´s all will be very costly. Camera Manufacturers will make new cameras that will not fit, so as they can sell their own housings.

... A housing which can fit any DSLR currectly available and available in the future. Controls would be operated electronically and would be connected by cable to the camera since most if not all permit for a computer to control it...

Not any camera, but quite a few:
Easydive

wow, exactly what I was looking for!! thanks man!

Edit: easydive requires you to provide your camera body for centering. Which sounds kind of weird to me. of course each body would require a specific base because they are all different from one another, but shouldn't they already have the measurements for such things.

Last edited:
... Edit: easydive requires you to provide your camera body for centering. Which sounds kind of weird to me. of course each body would require a specific base because they are all different from one another, but shouldn't they already have the measurements for such things.

I "suppose" that they might if they have made one before. Understandable though. It's not like they could afford to buy every camera for fit-checks. Do they also test your camera for electronic function? I have only read about them, please let us know what you learn. The ergonomics look pretty good.

Yes, the Easydive can do this job.
It's compatible with most of Canon and Nikon bodies (Leo3 and Leo3 plus) and also some Sony, Panasonic and Olympus mirrorless (Leo 3 Wi). You have only to change the base plate inside the housing to perform compatibility with your camera. In case you are planning to change camera you have only to change this base plate and the manifacturer will also update the firmware to fit the new body.

I do not think it can be done. Housings have to survive pressure and not leak. DSLRs even ones like the Nikon 800 and Nikon 810 need different housings because their buttons have slightly different locations. In camera controls, close does not make it. Almost pushing the shutter release is not good enough. Almost focusing is not good enough.

I use a nauticam housing. The controls are very precise and the ergonomics are good. You need those features if you are using a DSLR. Heck you need them for housings for point and shoot and mirrorless systems.

I know it is something that one can want but there are reasons why no one can do it.

I was reading this post and smiled ...
becouse this is actually what I am claiming for a long time!
All the Housings brands sould move to this MULTY / Universal methode:
that you can change your camera with the same Housing

I do not think it can be done. Housings have to survive pressure and not leak. DSLRs even ones like the Nikon 800 and Nikon 810 need different housings because their buttons have slightly different locations. In camera controls, close does not make it. Almost pushing the shutter release is not good enough. Almost focusing is not good enough.

I use a nauticam housing. The controls are very precise and the ergonomics are good. You need those features if you are using a DSLR. Heck you need them for housings for point and shoot and mirrorless systems.

I know it is something that one can want but there are reasons why no one can do it.

Well...
I am using this Concept housing since 11/2015 Easydive LEO3 wi
The company operates for more than 17 years
So Yes! it definitely can be done!
and I am very happy! with my housing and future possibilities , very happy I found them

1. Started with my Sony A6000 = I bought the housing + ports for Macro (90mm) and wide angel (10-18)
2. Than I add another Camera :) the Nikon D7200 with Tokina 10-17 FishEye...and paid only 400$ for the adaptation!
>> = complitly different camera and lens >> so now I am using 2 cameras setups on the same housing and ports

3. and...If I want to switch tomarrow to the new Sony A9 or Olympus?....yes! still the same Housing and ports!!!
and with LIFETIME GUARANTEE

Other than that = the Housing has magnetic Buttons! so no O-rings !
and no buttons leak risk !

and you can controll everything with just 3 fingers - without moving your hand
from a very ergonomic handle/panel.

And it looks super coll ..... :) but that is subjective of course

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit :
BTW you don't have to send your camera for monitoring...only specific models they did not adopted yet
So all the popular cameras and all mirrorless cameras are already been adopted

Last edited:
Other than that = the Housing has magnetic Buttons! so no O-rings !
and no buttons leak risk !

That makes their housings very attractive for deep work. O-ring sealed buttons rated for more than 100M/328' can be pretty stiff. Have you added a vacuum leak sensor to protect the static port and back O-rings?

How do you rate the ergonomics on your housing?

Thanks for the "fist person" user review.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom