Best private charters on NC coast and Myrtle Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coralreefer68

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a small group that wants to go out multiple trips this summer, all of us from NC/VA border area ( Danville VA) and we are looking for a couple of good private charters for Beaufort, Wilmington and Myrtle Beach areas. Anyone have suggestions? Wreck dives, Frying pan shoals, the subs and Meg Ledge is what we are looking to dive on, we plan on 1 dive a month from May to Oct.
Thanks in advance!!

Very good question. Hopefully there will be some good suggestions I'll be watching this thread myself.

Tortuga is a 6-pack out of Morehead City, NC. Capt James posts on here every so often. I've personally never dove with him but my buddy is a mate for him. He has a great reputation in the area. As far as wrecks, I would recommend a U-352/Aeolus 2 tank dive or go around the diamond shoals and dive the Caribsea and Atlas Tanker.

tortuga dive charters

Shoot me a PM once you book your trip and I'll give you restaurant suggestions (assuming you've never been to our area)

We dove with Express Watersports out of Murrell's Inlet - 20 min. south of Myrtle Beach. No issues with them.
They've bought a decent sized Newton dive boat since then. Scuba Diving Charters at Express Watersports
If you see ads for Scuba Express - that's them. Some decent waterfront restaurants in that area also.

Coastal Scuba is the other option - in North Myrtle. There's also Nu Horizons but I don't think they have their own boat.

BP25 is a decent wreck dive, the draw there though is the 2 dozen Subway cars dropped nearby. Some you can sit in as they landed upright. In that area, the farther you go out, the clearer and deeper the water. Some of the all day charters go to wrecks in the Gulf Stream so it's clearer and warmer than you'd expect. mid-July was t-shirt temperatures for me but since you'll mostly be diving wrecks (and there's jellies) maybe a skin? Some of the wrecks have Sand Tigers patrolling also but we didn't see any. We couldn't get out to the Vermilion due to conditions but it's 450' long - you can't dive the whole wreck in one dive. This is one of Express's trips, I recognize the dock.

Last edited:
i have dove with tortuga quite a few times and really there is no better operation. he is safe, but laid back, makes you feel like youre diving with a bunch of buddies. He knows all the good spots and is very flexible. I am not knocking any other operators, but i will say that Ken is as good as any you will find.

How big is your small group? You might check also on RAD (Raleigh Area Divers) there are some private charters that watch it.

I have a small group that wants to go out multiple trips this summer, all of us from NC/VA border area ( Danville VA) and we are looking for a couple of good private charters for Beaufort, Wilmington and Myrtle Beach areas. Anyone have suggestions? Wreck dives, Frying pan shoals, the subs and Meg Ledge is what we are looking to dive on, we plan on 1 dive a month from May to Oct.
Thanks in advance!!
Private Message me. I.m on a dive boat in the Beaufort NC area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom