When An Incident Is Only That

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming you are using an analog SPG- that would be true.
I've never been able to reproduce that except with valve that is barely open.

I've never been able to reproduce that except with valve that is barely open.
Same here.
I video'd it and some got angry saying "yes because your tanks had 60b in it when you did the test, so of course it's not gonna drop!" (somewhere there has to be logic behind it).

The quarter turn is a moronic thing. Don't do it. Don't let someone touch your valve (or any other equipment for that matter) without you asking. Always be the last one to have touched and checked your gear.

It's a bad thing to jump in with closed tanks (yes tanks, I forgot to open both of them while I was seasick!), but at least when you're responsible for it, you know who to blame and why. Trying to explain to people that the 1/4 turn is a bad thing usually gets quite complicated and you'll hear "but I'm an instructor", or "but we do it like that here".

"Fun" way to catch it though... Nice job technology :cool:

The quarter turn is a moronic thing
In partial defense of the quarter turn (or rather 1/16 turn): I have had my valves "lock" in open position in cold water more times than I care to remember and had to ask a team member to help me loosen them a bit after struggling to initiate valve drills. I ended up modifying my routine so that I first fully opened the valves and then "loosened"="turned back 1/16".

In partial defense of the quarter turn (or rather 1/16 turn): I have had my valves "lock" in open position in cold water more times than I care to remember and had to ask a team member to help me loosen them a bit after struggling to initiate valve drills. I ended up modifying my routine so that I first fully opened the valves and then "loosened"="turned back 1/16".
I am comfortable with simply opening it all the way until I feel the fully open stop. I apply no pressure beyond that point or I risk the valve locking open. I like the idea of the color indicator valves so I can glance over and see it on my wife's rig but I'm not going that route.

When someone touches your valve do another test breath.

Sometimes you don't know they've touched it, so I always try to remember to do another breathing test just before splashing. That still didn't stop me from once splashing without my reg in my mouth, though. On a negative entry, no less...

Sometimes you don't know they've touched it, so I always try to remember to do another breathing test just before splashing. That still didn't stop me from once splashing without my reg in my mouth, though. On a negative entry, no less...

Hence the stay humble bullet point in my op. Every time I have the thought that the other guy is a fool, I soon demonstrate what a fool looks like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom