SP Hydros Pro vs Halcyon Eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Hydros appears to me to be overpriced, but with the big S logo on it and offering something truly new in materials for BCs, that is not surprising. This is not the first piece of scuba gear to be overpriced and won't be the last. Compared to some new Atomic BCD I recently heard about, the Hydros is reasonably priced. I am lucky in that I can generally afford whatever scuba gear I want and compared to a single dive trip with my dive buddy, it is not a big deal. If money were more of an issue, then I would be looking at something else (but not BPW, just because I prefer something else).

The Outlaw on the other hand appears very reasonably priced but also minimalist in design and materials. From everything I can see, it is a soft backpack and no plate. Too bad they did not design it with some sort of removable plate option for those who want that. Probably not very feasible, though. I wonder if the Outlaw is going to kill off the Zuma? I have not seen a weight for the Outlaw.

I've been diving with my Hydros Pro for a number of trips with wetsuit and drysuit. I use it without a crotch strap and it stays snug with little movement. Am very happy with this purchase as it is also easy to pack and dries almost instantly.

Do you use it with the integrated weight pockets or without? I am curious about how much weight and bulk they add when packed.

Does the Outlaw have any form of backplate or is it just a soft backpack style? I can't tell so far...
There does not appear to be a description of the backplate or backpad on the Aqua Lung website. Whatever it is, it can be seen reasonably well in this view. I would imagine there is a lightweight stiffener of some sort incorporated into the pad. The whole BC is said to weigh under 4 pounds without weight or trim pockets.
upload_2017-5-11_13-6-31.png

Check out the video I posted in my last post. An AL rep has the Outlaw completely disassembled. He only shows one side of the "plate", but I think it's pretty easy to see what all is going on there.

The more info I look at, the more I like it. And a 12# wing! It is really tempting me to get one. For pool work or really warm water, using an AL80, it looks like a really nice option! And swap to the 25# wing for using with a 3mm and a steel 100. Still looks pretty sweet.

At some point, I will find out what I can get one for through my LDS. They are letting me do my DM training in my BP/W. But, I think if/when they have me actually assist with OW classes, they will want me to wear an integrated BCD. I can use a shop rental, but an "employee" price on an Outlaw might get me to shell out, so I can use it for classes and on my own fly-to-dive trips for single tank diving.

Check out the video I posted in my last post. An AL rep has the Outlaw completely disassembled. He only shows one side of the "plate", but I think it's pretty easy to see what all is going on there.

The more info I look at, the more I like it. And a 12# wing! It is really tempting me to get one. For pool work or really warm water, using an AL80, it looks like a really nice option! And swap to the 25# wing for using with a 3mm and a steel 100. Still looks pretty sweet.

At some point, I will find out what I can get one for through my LDS. They are letting me do my DM training in my BP/W. But, I think if/when they have me actually assist with OW classes, they will want me to wear an integrated BCD. I can use a shop rental, but an "employee" price on an Outlaw might get me to shell out, so I can use it for classes and on my own fly-to-dive trips for single tank diving.
I'll have to take a look at one when I get the opportunity. The video does not show the anterior of the backplate/pad, nor does it show the wing or tank band

Last edited:
I'll have to take a look at one when I get the opportunity. The video does not show the anterior of the backplate/pad, nor does it show the wing or tank band

I saw another dive show video, in French, showing the Outlaw. It did show what is apparently one tank band, with what looked like a ScubaPro-style QR buckle.

I'm a new diver looking to buy my first BC. I plan on being in the sport for a long time so I don't want to buy a "beginner" BC and have to upgrade later. Right now my plan is to remain recreational but who knows what the future holds. I'm in Florida so most of my diving will be done around here and then wherever I travel, so warm water. Most of my diving will be done in a 3mm suit, possibly 5mm in the colder months.

Originally I was set on the ScubaPro Hydros Pro, but now after reading many threads on here I've been taking a look at the Halcyon Eclipse as a BP/W option. With the Halcyon I would probably go with the aluminum backplate and the 20lb wing. The XS hydros pro has 36lbs of lift which seems a little bit excessive for warm water diving.

Halcyon claims to be infinitely adjustable, but is there a limit to this? I'm a small female so I need it to be able to get small enough to hold me tight. The hydros pro has female sizes which is a plus. I have all scubapro products currently because I like the quality and easy access to being serviced. Do BP/W need to be serviced like other BCs? Both setups are similarly priced so that is not a factor.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a BC system for a small female I would definitely consider any possibilities. Thanks.

I would suggest getting a Halcyon Ecilpse. I really like Halcyon because of their customer service and their gear always seem fit for purpose. I mean they all dive what they sell so they take the time to get it right.

I would suggest a steel plate unless you are planning on travelling a lot then go for Ali or Carbon.

The biggest thing I would suggest is taking a course (even a short one) with someone who knows how to use it. Plenty of people in Florida that know how to use one and even a couple of hours training with someone experienced will help you.

Last thing look for a halcyon dealer that offers 'try before you buy'. Get them to help you set it up and maybe try a few options before you lay down the cash.

I saw another dive show video, in French, showing the Outlaw. It did show what is apparently one tank band, with what looked like a ScubaPro-style QR buckle.
Yes, they have their "GripLock" tank band. It has some quick settings for usual tank diameters and a fine adjustment. Looks pretty good, have never examined one. I have used Scubapro's for 15 years, have never had a loose cylinder
upload_2017-5-11_15-0-18.png

I wouldn't pay to become a Halcyon billboard. Blue Hs all over the webbing, a logo on the backplate pad, a logo on the wing, a logo on each weight pocket. It's ridiculous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom