Florida Keys, Best Dive center/boat and the best Reef to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few thoughts:

1.) I tend to hear the upper Keys endorsed over the lower. I've been to Key Largo; trip report if it's of interest. Rainbow Reef Dive Center moved their location a bit since then.

2.) I was quite happy with Rainbow Reef Dive Center and would use them again. If you like a big, fairly stable boat, no-added charge guide service, option for 2 2-tank trips (4 dives) per day with a cheap package deal option, it's really sweet. They're reputable on Scuba Board, based on reports by a number of people.

3.) But, if you like small, 6-pack boats, don't want a guide, you might like Quiescence, which I keep reading good things about. Same region, but an apples and oranges comparison. Who's best? Who's judging?

4.) When I dove in 2013, the morning boats had 2 options; 2 shallow reef, or a deep wreck followed by a shallow reef (or a 2nd deep wreck dive). Saw 2 guys have to sit out a deep wreck dive because they didn't have AOW; Captain asked if they had log books (to show deep experience, I think), and they didn't. Your profile says you've got under 25 dives. If you don't have AOW, you could take the course with Rainbow Reef and still dive a deep wreck.

5.) I'm surprised I haven't seen more on the thread about Conch Republic; never dove with them, but they get very consistently positive reviews on Scuba Board.

Richard.

The family has nothing but good things to say about Horizon Divers but we aren't "needy" type people. Give us a pleasant, knowledgeable crew, a safe boat and gear and all is good. The best thing I liked about Horizon is their boat is docked on the Atlantic side so the rides to most sites are pretty short compared to those docked on the bay side.

I snorkel in Islemorada (sp) and it was quite beautiful one of these days I would love to go back a dive it

But some of the suggestions here have given me great ideas

I dove various sites in the Islemorada area and I enjoyed them just as much a Largo. Alligator is one of my favorites. I've been down maybe 6 times and haven't been to the same spot more than once. Davis is another good one. I recall the boat rides being around 30+ min.

There is no best for all. I depends on what you like. Personally I am not a fan of crowded small boats. As I go past 70 I find I am a bit more susceptible to getting sea sick and it is always in a small boat. I also am not a sitter. So my preference is for large stable boats that have room to roam around in. Also I frequently show up by myself so I like boats that will go out even if only a couple of divers. I have dove with several ops (horizon, sea dwellers, ocean divers, bluewater), enjoyed the all, but lately have favored ocean divers for the reasons above. Horizon is fine but their new location requires me to use my rental car. Not getting in a car for a couple days is a plus for me.

Back
Top Bottom