Shell collectors ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use bleach at times as well, but never more than an hour of soaking. Once in a while I add varnish to really breing out the colours--especially with shells collected dead. I don't count that as "cheating" since the colors were there already, just faded or covered with whatever.
Interesting that at least several have "admitted" to being at least somewhat collectors, a surprise to me. I don't think most are dishonest, since as I mentioned, I believe most divers have no interest in shells.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Akimbo, post: 8004337, member: 131019"
I give my Abalone shells to a friend that uses them for sculpture and inlay art. It is really beautiful stuff in the right person's hands.

Sort of a side-note. I will never forget the first time I visited a commercial diving company's yard in Belle Chasse Louisiana. They paved the place with ground oyster shells. This California boy didn't believe it until I saw how fast those guys piled shells up at lunch. It sort of makes me wonder why that area doesn't have more sand beaches
.[/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I give my Abalone shells to a friend that uses them for sculpture and inlay art. It is really beautiful stuff in the right person's hands."

In the 1950s I began experimenting with common house hold items to clean, preserve and display sea shells and marine life (one of my college degrees is "Human Bio")

Abalone was one shell that was plentiful and always available since it was a major supplemental food source for my family and all diving families.

So I experimented with it-- cleaning, polishing and displaying. I also experimented with other shells, and marine life such as star fish and sea urchins. I had an ongoing ( not dedicated) series of articles that appeared in the now defunct Los Angeles County UW News as I progressed in my techniques .

The Kodak carousel 35 MM projector appeared on the market in mid sixties . This projector was the projector we had been waiting for...with a capacity of 80 slides it was just right to develop a slide show

I "campaigned" (most will call it lecturing --we who were participants refereed to it as "campaigning " to many of the pioneer dive clubs in SoCal, as well as most LA Co UW instructors courses (UICCs ) spreading the word about marine life preservation and display with a program I titled "Keep'en Kreepers.".

In 1970 (date?) " Diving West" was published . This was the second dive guide in ever published the US , (the first was in 1955 by Hilbert Schnick ) The late great Ron Merker ( see his obituary in Passing on this board) and I authored the Orange County section.

The publishers also included a much revised copy of my articles on "Keep'en Kreepers.". (It was only in the first edition of the book...there was too much liability event at that early date for a DIY article)

In March 1991 (good gosh 26 years ago) I had a dedicated column "The way is was" in the national dive magazine
"Discover diving." ( I have been fortunate that I have had 4 dedicated diving columns and the first and only dedicated news paper column dedicated to diving ) I published my last article on marine life preservation tilted "Abalone shell cleaning." It too was some what abbreviated but got the message across. That was the last time the article appeared in print- but it seems every modern diver in NorCal who polls up an Ab uses the article as a guide to polish Abalone shells.

And that was "The way it was"...A long time ago
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sort of a side-note. I will never forget the first time I visited a commercial diving company's yard in Belle Chasse Louisiana. They paved the place with ground oyster shells. This California boy didn't believe it until I saw how fast those guys piled shells up at lunch. It sort of makes me wonder why that area doesn't have more sand beaches.

Very common..
In the 1960s there was a small mountain of Abalone shells at the side of highway 101 just north of Santa Barbara as well as a "presentable" hill of Abalone shells in Moro Bay.
I was "informed " they sold them to Asia who converted them to items of value , jewelry etc .

In Baja with its long sandy beaches ideal for Pismo Clams. They are also used for side walks .

I visited a place many years ago called as I recall "Mussel shoals." My old dusty mind cant recall the state which it was located. The main occupation of the area was to convert fresh water mussels to buttons .. The shells which the buttons were punched from were also used as pavement .

Once again a common practice

SDM

I too am a collector and take live mollusks. At one time I used to boil the shell to clean it, but that method often leaves hairline cracks on the surface. I have found that by placing the animal in a pan or ziplock bag and completely covering it with water then completely freezing and thawing it for three or four cycles that the ice crystal destroy a lot of tissue and the shell can be flushed out with water or can easily be pulled out with a dental pick and depending on the species, if it's small or has a lot of whorls I'll put it on an ant hill to let them pick it clean. I'm not a big fan of using bleach or other chemicals for the cleaning process. I display them with the collecting info in plastic bins I get a the hobby store.

I'm not judging or anything like that but I'm a firm believer in the principals of Leave No Trace. The only thing I ever take is something that was put there by man. I'm also one of those guys that will swim, paddle, hike out of my way to pick up a piece of trash. I'm not a "tree hugger" but I have the mentality that I/we are guests to environments. Taking a shell may or may not be a critters future home and have no impact on the environment but that cool shell sitting on your shelf prohibits others from enjoying it.

Sorry about the soap box thing but just thought I would share my opinion.

I left no trace. I too pick up trash, and shells. I have not prohibited any diver from enjoying a species of shell that I have collected as other individuals of that species are still in the area. I also have introduced a lot of non divers to the natural history of gastropods and malacology through my shell collection.

Why do you feel the need to suggest people that don't are dishonest?
I agree. It's interesting the posts the op replys to as honest although it seems the majority of posters has admitted to some degree of collection. Which seems in imply that we are dishonest. :shrug:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
150 shells - Fantastic ! an honest member of the SCUBA board who admits to collecting shells

I also have or at least can't recall ever purchasing a shell.

I agree that such a thing of beauty - a marvel of nature should be displayed.

We have some of ours under glass is cabinets others setting out singular or is a grouping.

They are probably the number one dust collector in our home. Requires a lot of care and dusting

Do you do anything to enhance the beauty of the shells -- ie any sort of coating?

Inquiring minds want to know

SAM

PS I note you list Midwest as your home--I Have often wondered what states comprise the "Midwest?" sdm

I like to leave them in their natural state, but I have been wondering why people bleach them out......is it cosmetic or does it serve a purpose (like killing little left over organisms and such)

trygon, Interesting. I've never noticed hairline fractures due to boiling, but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. I've heard of freezing, just never bothered to try it--seemed like more work. I have also read of a method of burying shells in sand/dirt so ants and others will eat the animal. Seems unnecessarily cruel to me. Well, I suppose if the animal is already dead--then it just seems messy. I've also heard that some actually use muriatic (sp?) acid on very encrusted shells, but have been advised never to do so since it also eats fingers.

urbaneve71, I only soak in bleach when whatever film/grime, etc. covering the shell is not relatively easy to remove with my usual tools (mainly sharp knife).

Tony66, All been said before.

uncfnp, I too am surprised that quite a few have said they collect shells, even if just dead ones. As I first mentioned, you never read anything in mags. where divers talk about shells. Am surprised this thread is still going, but am enjoying it.

Last edited:
How does one reply to this? I will reply in bold print

trygo
Interesting. I've never noticed hairline fractures due to boiling, but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

Hair line fractures appear in all shells subject to excessive heat especially from boiling. If it was a world record shell such as "Max bottom time's" SIO discovered it will still be a WR and it will maintain its intrinsic value , but its market value is greatly reduced-- and as we know there is a market for sea shells.

I am reminded of a incident about 40-50 years ago - actually when I recall it was even possibly longer - it was prior to the extensive dive travel of today and diving was still concentrated in California.

A young dive shop employee had traveled to Hawaii on his honey moon and returned with a selection of sea shells . He proceeded to boil them, and glue them in shadow boxes for display in the shop. I dropped by one day and he proudly shared his display with me to me --Much to my surprise and I suspect horror he had found a Golden Cowrie (Cypraea aurantium) at that time extremely rare and selling for $500 and up.

Moral - research and know your shells- like Max Bottom Time

I've heard of freezing, just never bothered to try it--seemed like more work. I have also read of a method of burying shells in sand/dirt so ants and others will eat the animal. Seems unnecessarily cruel to me. Well, I suppose if the animal is already dead--then it just seems messy.

All of the above have been used and are obsolete -- almost "urban Legends"
For many years conchologist ( I suppose I am one) have been using germicidal soap such as "Hexsol " to dispose of the shell's tissue.

There are two methods; soaking and setting:

In soaking the shell is immersed into a bottle or a jar containing a solution of Hexsol and water . The bottle is sealed with a lid and set in a cool dark place. Periodically the bottle is shaken and the solution changed until the germicidal soap has destroyed all the tissue.

In setting the shell, generally a bivalve such as a cowrie (Cypraea) is placed on a sponge super saturated with hexsol and placed in a cool dark place. This method will require more attention such as adding water and periodically changing the sponge until all of the shells flesh is destroyed . (Ed note purchase sponges at 99 cent store)

I've also heard that some actually use muriatic (sp?) acid on very encrusted shells, but have been advised never to do so since it also eats fingers.

To remove growth from a shell many tools can be employed. Originally I used and often still use common nut pick, an Ice pick, small screw drivers, dental pick and wire brushes . Some years ago discovered a set of small sharp pick of various sizes shapes and bends at Harbor Freight - excellent for cleaning shells

Muriatic acid had been used for years and years to clean shells !

There are several ways to purchase the Muriatic Acid

1) local drug store, (very expensive ,) 2) Home depot in the paint department (very expensive and weak ,) or in the swimming pool department (very strong mixture and 1/2 less or more the price in the paint department)
Several cautions when using Muriatic Acid
Use out side in a well ventilated area
Never use on concrete (will eat concreate)
Wear old clothes
WEAR EYE PROTECTION

When using on shells apply sparingly use cotton swabs etc and wash area frequently.

If you have a large area that needs protection such as the underside of an Abalone of a Turban snail apply a coat of Paraffin wax. To remove place in a common pot with the wax facing up. Heat until the wax melts-- do not allow to boil !!! Allow to cool skim off the wax for reuse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

urbaneve71, I only soak in bleach when whatever film/grime, etc. covering the shell is not relatively easy to remove with my usual tools (mainly sharp knife).

Bleach is very caustic -- Never ever place sea shells in bleach it will eat away at the exteriors of the shell

Tony66, All been said before.

So true-- I am delighted that the modern late model tube suckers recognize that there was a beginning and a middle and now we are approaching the end of the consumptive diver. Hopefully soon shell collecting , spear fishing and destroying what remains will be distant memories of the past, so my grandchildren will not marvel at seeing a star fish as one of the poster did

uncfnp, I too am surprised that quite a few have said they collect shells, even if just dead ones. As I first mentioned, you never read anything in mags. where divers talk about shells. Am surprised this thread is still going, but am enjoying it.

In December 1951 two Californians set at a kitchen table assembling a unique magazine titled "Skin Diver magazine; a magazine for skin divers and spear fishermen" In the magazine was a monthly column on collection and displaying of sea shells....It opened many eyes including mine ( you might want to google" wwwportagequarry.com legends of diving Skin diver magazine (my Article) and the bio of Chuck Blakeslee the founder of SDM)

There are many many books devoted to sea shells. I have been involved with for ever so many years and have a treasure of about 4 lineal feet of shell books- some long out of print and now collectors books others relatively new. All well used

Sam Miller

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom