What is Bonaire Like If You Already Dove on Curaçao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironborn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will soon be taking my first trip to Bonaire. I have been researching the island and its dive sites online, but I have found thus far that one can only learn so much from the Internet, and that first-hand experience is usually a more useful guide. My closest personal experience thus far has been shore diving on Curaçao; below is a link to my trip report on it.

Curaçao Trip Report – November 2016

How does Bonaire diving resemble or differ from that of Curaçao? I understand that the topside environment of Bonaire is quite different, with few non-diving attractions, less development, and few or no amenities at many dive sites. I am more interested in learning the key similarities or differences in the marine environment itself and the diving experience, e.g. shore entries, visibility, water temperature, marine life, reef structure, underwater topography, current, etc.

How can my Curaçao experience prepare me for Bonaire, and what if anything might I encounter on Bonaire that Curaçao did not prepare me for?

Bonaire shore sites are closer together, easier to access with shorter kickouts.

However, I prefer the diving in Curacao. The sites on Bonaire are very similar to one another.

Not sure if this will post and paste or not. We will see. I've yet to visit Curacao and cannot compare. But here is my last Bonaire trip. Feel free to PM me.
Bonaire Dive Trip May 2016- (3)

Haven't dove Curacao. I can share some links to threads you might not've run across either comparing the two, or discussing Curacao (often that's done by people who went to Bonaire first, which I why I include a bit of that).

Curacao vs. Bonaire - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/473036-curacao-vs-bonaire.html

Bonaire vs Curacao - http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/bonaire-vs-curacao.535918/

Curacao 1st Timer Trip Report - http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/curacao-1st-timer-trip-report.527457/

Curacao Trip Report - Curacao Trip Report

I agree that a # of Bonaire's sites look much alike; you kick out aways, maybe around 30 feet deep the wall starts, it slopes down at maybe 45 degree angle past recreational depths, so I tend to dive down around 40 feet, head north or south to turn pressure, ascend to 30 feet, head back, walk out. But there's more to it.

A site called the Cliff has a small vertical wall; if you stay at a particular place (Black Durgon if memory serves?) or do a boat trip, you can hit Small Wall, which I did & thought it looked like a somewhat larger version of Cliff.

Some southern sites, like Angel City, features a 'double reef' you can fin out past the 1st wall across a sandy 'canyon' of sorts to a 2nd reef.

East coast diving is a very different kettle of fish (yeah, that was lame...). I did a guided shore dive by Bas Tol with BasDiving.com, and that was great! He's well spoken of on this forum.

Topside, Bonaire can entertain for at least one week. The park up north (save your marine park payment receipt to get in free) makes a fairly scenic, somewhat mountainous arid drive through. A drive along the southern tip, east coast and north watching waves hitting coral rubble or iron shore is nice. People kite surf around Atlantis, and on the east coast wind surf. The donkey sanctuary can be fun, especially if you take goodies. If you want a distinctive piece of jewelry, we've bought sea turtle pendants at Jewel of Bonaire in Kralendijk.

Richard.

The sites on Bonaire are very similar to one another.

I did get the impression from my research that most of the dive sites on the west coast of Bonaire were quite similar to each other in their structure and topography. However, I also got the impression that they become a bit more diverse and challenging as one heads toward the northern and southern extremes of the island - especially in the former direction, beginning at Cliff or Karpata and culminating at the far northern dive sites in Washington-Slagbaai National Park. Does that sound right to you (or anyone else reading this)?

Last edited:
I agree that a # of Bonaire's sites look much alike; you kick out aways, maybe around 30 feet deep the wall starts, it slopes down at maybe 45 degree angle past recreational depths, so I tend to dive down around 40 feet, head north or south to turn pressure, ascend to 30 feet, head back, walk out. But there's more to it.

A site called the Cliff has a small vertical wall; if you stay at a particular place (Black Durgon if memory serves?) or do a boat trip, you can hit Small Wall, which I did & thought it looked like a somewhat larger version of Cliff.

Some southern sites, like Angel City, features a 'double reef' you can fin out past the 1st wall across a sandy 'canyon' of sorts to a 2nd reef.

East coast diving is a very different kettle of fish (yeah, that was lame...). I did a guided shore dive by Bas Tol with BasDiving.com, and that was great! He's well spoken of on this forum.

Yes, your description of a typical Bonaire west coast dive site and dive plan/itinerary sounds a lot like what I expected from my research, and not all that different from some of the simpler and more straightforward dives on Curaçao.

I also got the impression that the "double reef" and "sandy canyon" pattern was even more common across the west coast dive sites in general and not just the southern ones...does that "double reef" and "sandy canyon" pattern disappear or fade as you head north? My research also left me with the impression that the second reef further from shore was usually more interesting than the closer ones. Would you agree? Would you say it is worth the time, air consumption, and nitrogen absorption to swim across the sandy canyon to the second reef?

So are Cliff and Small Wall the only wall dives on the west coast of Bonaire?

What I read about Bonaire's east coast diving and Bas Tol's guided dives there did indeed sound very different and quite fascinating, but also probably beyond my skills and experience, as I only have 55 dives. I might save that for a future trip, when I have more experience with diving in general and Bonaire in particular.

I did get the impression from my research that most of the dive sites on the west coast of Bonaire were quite similar to each other in their structure and topography. However, I also got the impression that they become a bit more diverse and challenging as one heads toward the northern and southern extremes of the island - especially in the former direction, beginning at Cliff or Karpata and culminating at the far northern dive sites in Washington-Slagbaii National Park. Does that sound right to you (or anyone else reading this)?

I have been to both Bonaire and Curacao, and it sounds to me like you have done your research well. The biggest differences are topside, but the extreme north and south sites do have features that differentiate them from the sites in the middle. Although Curacao was interesting--the historical center, the urban amenities, etc.--I prefer Bonaire because the dive logistics are so unique, not because of the underwater topography or marine life. Driving from one site to the next, all up and down the coast, drive-through fill stations .... Like nowhere else I am aware of.

Edit: Yes, the double reef sites are kind of cool. Definitely worthwhile in my opinion. But still, it's not like Bonaire is a different world from Curacao. I'm not sure what your dilemma is. If you have been to Curaco and liked it, then by all means check out Bonaire.

I have been to both Bonaire and Curacao, and it sounds to me like you have done your research well. The biggest differences are topside, but the extreme north and south sites do have features that differentiate them from the sites in the middle. Although Curacao was interesting--the historical center, the urban amenities, etc.--I prefer Bonaire because the dive logistics are so unique, not because of the underwater topography or marine life. Driving from one site to the next, all up and down the coast, drive-through fill stations .... Like nowhere else I am aware of..

Yes, that was why I posted this inquiry, as much of what I found in my research on Bonaire emphasized the island's topside logistics and its "diving freedom" culture, more so than the actual marine environment itself, which is more important to me.

What are the features of the far northern and far southern dive sites that distinguish them from the ones in the middle? Do those distinctive features make them more or less challenging and/or more or less worthwhile/enjoyable?

Ironborn:

I haven't seen & don't recall hearing of a double reef system up north along the west coast of Bonaire, but haven't gone looking. I liked Angel City down south as a good place to see it; didn't think it was necessarily better or worse than the inshore reef. It wasn't a long distance trip to fin out there, so do it at least once and judge for yourself.

Northern sites aren't necessarily more adverse to deal with; they may involve a walk down some steps or trail to the water, but the reef is closer in to shore, so shorter swim outs.

Southern Bonaire is pancake flat; you can see up & down the coast a good ways. Northern Bonaire is very hilly with a lot of dense scrub vegetation.

If you go with Bas Tol, I don't think Cai will be a problem for you. Very nice dive under his guidance. Go without him? Wouldn't do that...(since I did it before way back & that didn't go so well).

Richard.

Yes, that was why I posted this inquiry, as much of what I found in my research on Bonaire emphasized the island's topside logistics and its "diving freedom" culture, more so than the actual marine environment itself, which is more important to me.

What are the features of the far northern and far southern dive sites that distinguish them from the ones in the middle? Do those distinctive features make them more or less challenging and/or more or less worthwhile/enjoyable?

I like to tell people that as far as the underwater environment is concerned (as opposed to the topside, entries, exits, etc.) all of Bonaire's sites are more alike than they are different. The far north and south sites are known for trickier entries/exits, finicky surf, etc.--so, yes, some are considered more challenging than the sites in the middle. The East side is the wild side--and yes, that is a different world. However, if you expect the far north or south sites to have truly "distinctive" features from sites in the middle, I think you will be disappointed. They're all good! They all have their individual charms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom