Phuket in March 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a trip way in advance that will actually let me fly into Phuket for a few days towards the end of March 2018. I'm looking to do about 3 days of diving while I'm there. I'm just not sure where to start. I only have about 175 logged dives, so I'm no expert by any means...but I really don't want to be with a bunch of people getting certified. Normally I wouldn't mind, but since I only have a few days, I want to maximize my experience. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have any recommendations of dive ops to do the daytrip?

The best diving in Thailand is for sure The Similan Islands - specially Richelieu.
The best option will be to go for a liveaboard. It will allow you to do more dives there , at times where it is not that crowded and dive the whole area from Phuket to the Similan Islands.

Have a look to The Junk itinerary.

I agree the best diving in Thailand is Richelieu and the Sims, logistically StevenL's suggestion is easier from Phuket however I don't know how many LOBs do 2 night trips or itineries nowadays. Another option that I do like is Hin Muang and Hin Daeng. This also is a overnight LOB at least from Krabi so given the time you have I'd suggest dropping into see Steven - I have no complaints with his services and recommend him.

The one thing no operator can guarantee you in Thailand is that there will be no newbies or OW students on their dives or even at some sites DSD divers. Even on high end LOBs. That doesn't mean your dive experience is going to be impacted, Sure it's better if we all had the entire wreck to ourselves and every diver on a boat is guaranteed to have textbook dive skills but that's not going to happen anywhere. DMs are there to keep an eye on divers so I wouldn't worry about having to be spending your dive looking after a stranger - DM will be keeping an eye on the group. You will probably find on the King Cruiser/Shark Point/Koh Bon (Steven why doesn't everybody dive anenome? I've never dived Koh Bon??) day there will be multiple DMs and guides around. Enjoy. You could also spend one day over at Ao Nang diving Krabi local islands - quite doable if you can organise the early ferry there from Phuket or shell out on cab. It's a scenic but long drive. With your time constraints I'd probably dive based out of Phuket, Have a nice trip.

I am considering a 10 day trip Feb 2018. The advantage is to go to all the sites on one trip. Do you have any suggestions for packing for The Junk for 10? Any pretrip tour suggestions?

Going with www.singledivers.com I went to Palau and Belize with them. They were great.

We went to Similan islands this year and were on a liveaboard which has people coming and leaving from Phuket everyday so you could definitely do a three day liveaboard if you wanted to get to Ricehlieu Rock (which in my opinion you should if you can!). The boat was Somboon 3 if I remember correctly.

It's not a luxury liveaboard and it can get very crowded on the dive deck but for flexibility it's probably hard to beat and the staff did a good job of managing everyone with staggered dive times etc.

We booked through Aussie Divers and can't fault them - responsive and professional and our dive guide was great, he really listened to what we wanted from the trip and did his best to make sure everything ran smoothly for us.

3 days is just enough to get a taste of what's available in high season .... The Somboon 3 (aka South SIam 3) and it's sister ship South Siam 4 are low budget boats and generally very well run, but can be crowded as they also take day trippers. The nicer liveaboard boats in general run trips for 4+ days to the Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock. (Summary of liveaboards @ Thailand Liveaboards | Similan Islands Liveaboard Diving from Phuket and Khao Lak). Day trip diving out of Phuket, you have options to the King Cruiser Wreck, Phi Phi or the Racha Islands. Or you might look at something like a 2 day liveaboard to Hin Daeng, to the South of Phuket on the Giamani liveaboard (Giamani - Phuket Liveaboard Safaris - Similan Islands - Hin Daeng) which only takes 10 divers. Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom