Bad Booze in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw some recent facebook posts which were links to various articles about "bad booze" at resorts in Mexico. The first couple I saw I just dismissed as likely hoaxes or overreactions. But then I saw an article in the local paper (Tampa Bay Times) and this morning it was on the tv news that there was now an official travel advisory from he us government.

It sounds like the booze at various high end resorts in Mexico is getting tainted. Nobody seems to know yet exactly with what, and speculations abound. Results vary from people blacking out into their room to waking up raped and violated. Apparently one young lady died in the pool of her resort.

So far the only responses from Mexican resorts are basically "our stuff is fine" and nothing is being done about it - from what I can tell. Iberostar is one of the resorts that is involved, but I don't believe it's only Iberostar with the problem.

There are also bizarre stories from customers who reported a problem to the hotel manager and were told to go to an ATM and get cash in order to take a taxi to the hospital. I've no idea what's up with that, maybe the manager just didn't like being a hotel manager or something...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...mexico-suspected-drugging-tourists/490429001/

US warns travelers about tainted alcohol in Mexico - CNN.com

Why Tourists Are Blacking Out in Mexico

I can't seem to find the actual travel advisory that the news stories reference on the state department's website.

So far, all the reports I've read were from Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. I haven't seen Cozumel referenced. I was curious what, if anything, those that travel that to Mexico (or live there and visit scubaboard) have heard on the subject.

I read that, too. It is quite disturbing. Hard facts are difficult to get. Here is the exact wording from the State Department, Mexico, Safety and Security section:" There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill." That's a pretty weak warning. I wish there were more details available.

I read that, too. It is quite disturbing. Hard facts are difficult to get. Here is the exact wording from the State Department, Mexico, Safety and Security section:" There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill." That's a pretty weak warning. I wish there were more details available.
I have to agree, that sounds weak. I get the impression the state department thinks the people reporting the problem just drank more than they're admitting. I admit I thought the same thing at first. It seems like there's reports coming out of the woodwork now, though. Too many for that to be the case on every one of these.

I'm a little disappointed that the Mexican authorities and resort management folks don't seem to be all over this. Even if every one of these people is lying, it seems like the news is going to hurt tourism in a big way.

Hopefully these things will just be a memory by next summer when I'm hoping to return to Cozumel.

I have never fallen victim to any alcohol mishaps while vacationing in Mexico. The latest stories coming from some of these resorts is frightening. Some of these people claim they only had one drink and blacked out. Compounding the trauma is a) the police turning the blame onto the victim and blowing off making any formal report b) The collusion and deals made between the resorts and the hospitals and c) my biggest concern, the hospitals essentially holding some tourists hostage until their bill is pain in full with cash. The alcohol situation can be avoided, but getting injured on vacation is out of your hands. A couple of examples are cited below.

Retired Idaho teacher says she's held hostage in Mexican hospital

Premature baby held as ‘medical hostage’ in Mexico heads to U.S.

I love Mexico but am sorely disappointed with how bad they have handled these issues. I definitely think there will be a squeeze on their pocketbooks from American tourists. It is the golden time for other Caribbean countries to push their accessibility and appeal to US citizens. Hopefully Mexico will take a serious look at these offenders and make an effort to right some horrific wrongs.

Oh nooooooo! We just booked an AI resort for September...we're not big drinkers but we were looking forward to enjoying a little.

For some time now, I have not been leading trips to Mexico and suggested to others to find another destination for dive travel. I will avoid Mexico until the political climate changes and suggest everyone else do the same. It has been pretty bad now for several years and I don't see it getting better soon.
Keep in mind you are traveling to a country where many people despise you. Not everyone, and not openly but many would like to put you in your place, including government officials.

I predict it's a mix of (1) actually bad alcohol and (2) some folks who don't want to admit to Mom that they drank too much. Ever been to a Senior Frogs during Spring Break? It makes the French Quarter in NOLA at 2am look like a Tee-totalers convention.

I saw those stories as well, very alarming! My hope would be staying FAR away from the AI hotel party scene and only patronize small dive ops with in-house restaurants. Also, I'd never be foolish enough to drive any scooter/vehicle in Mexico as they love to stage bogus traffic accidents to milk-the-gringo !

I'm not much of a resort person, but as I recall from the few I have stayed at, all but the super high-end ones served watery drinks with mid-shelf ingredients. Life is too short to drink cheap booze. If I were to stay at a resort again I would stick with beer. Good drinks can be had a regular bars and restaurants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom