Bad Booze in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I stayed at Hotel Cozumel, I thoroughly enjoyed standing in the waist deep pool and having the waiter bring me mixed drinks right to the pool. I don't drink much at home, I save it for vacation. For the past couple years that's been scubaboard megadive trips to Ginnie Springs and scubaboard invasion trips to the Caribbean mostly. I'm really hoping this situation gets sorted out before next summer's invasion or at least I hope that it doesn't spread. I think that "iberostar" is one of the hotels in cozumel, and that's one of the hotel brands that has been caught doing this. In fact, when you type "iberostar" into Google, these incidents fill the first page of search results. At least prospective guests are likely to hear about it this way.

There is one way to avoid bad booze in Mexico.
I can think of several. Don't go to Mexico, or don't drink when you're there, or bring your own booze. I'm sure there are other options. Personally, I like vacationing in mexico as the diving is great and I like drinking (in moderation) while on vacation. From what I've personally witnessed, many people like to do the same. I'd like to see the situation get acknowledged by the offending resorts and/or Mexican government and resolved in some way. Sometimes I like to dis my government's heavy handed approach to things.. then I see stuff like this and find myself wishing another government behaved like ours. It really makes me sit back and reconsider what I want a government to do.

I doubt that will happen but hopefully we won't continue to get reports of repeat occurrences.

I doubt there'd be any accountability by the resorts or anything done by the Mexican government. So many tourists flock to the area despite known issues (me included).

Only way I see anything happening is if the US and/or Canadian governments (or any other government for that matter) start issuing official travel alerts against going to the area.

Meanwhile if we choose to go there, we know the risks and will need to take precautions as we see fit for ourselves.

Appears to be a very real issue. From an article in today's USA Today:
The Mexican government has long acknowledged that the nation has a problem with adulterated alcohol. A 2017 report by Euromonitor International found 36% of the alcohol consumed in the country is illegal, meaning it is sold or produced under unregulated circumstances and potentially dangerous.

The study, done in collaboration with the nation’s Tax Administration Service, found that was an improvement from two years earlier, when 43% was illegal.

The national health authority in Mexico has seized more than 1.4 million gallons of adulterated alcohol since 2010 — not just from small local establishments, but from hotels and other entertainment areas, according to a 2017 report by the country's Federal Commission for Protection against Health Risks.

It's a conspiracy to end free alcohol at AI's :wink:

Last edited:
One report I saw said that sites like TripAdvisor reject first hand accounts from people who have been victims of bad alcohol.

When I stayed at Hotel Cozumel, I thoroughly enjoyed standing in the waist deep pool and having the waiter bring me mixed drinks right to the pool. .

I enjoy have my drinks prepared and brought to me in the pool too. I think I'll just pick up booze from Mega and ask my hubby to play the role of bartender. :drunks:

I was just down in September and rented a place in PDC through Air B&B for my 10th or 11 trip to PDC. Bought my booze at MEGA and Walmart, no problems. will generally only drink beer at a bar anyway, drinks are too expensive and easy to mix my own.

Joking aside it does seem like it was and may still be a real issue at some all inclusives from what I have heard, but I went out to a few bars on 5th and never had a problem. I have seen people get obliterated due to vaca excess and strong drinks but have never personally had a problem or seen anything that looked like a drugged response. I could easily believe it happens however, since from what i have read, unregulated liquor could be bought cheaper by the bar managers so they had an incentive to do so to increase their profits or get kickbacks. What really scared me honestly was the responses people have reported getting from the all inclusives once the victims voiced concerns or complaints, even more reason to go self catered in dead seriousness. But I have honestly never felt unsafe in PDC itself, even late at night and off 5th near 307. Worst I've ever experienced it attempted price gouging for taxis, and incorrect math on one or 2 restaurant bills.

As far as tripadvisor I have heard numerous people complain that they censor severe negative postings aggressively. meaning you can complain about the lack of red wine at the bar, but you can't post you were assaulted by an employee. it is all word of mouth but this story seems to back it up, as do local message boards regarding similiar incidences at other places like Belize

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom