Need help identifying VOIT Steel tank size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arkid

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for help to determine size and service pressure.

The marks are..

ICC3AA225
VOIT
2 (L in circle) 68 +PST

There are other hydro stamps too.
Thanks!!

Probably an LP72. What the no-valve length and circumference?

I suspect that there is a zero "O" following the ICC3AA225, i.e. "ICC3AA2250" which would be 2250 psi and with a "+" next to the hydro stamp that would be 2475 psi.

I don't know what "2 (L in circle)" means. The diameter of a 72 is about 6.9".

Oops, OK. My mind was a million miles under the sea. The L in Circle is the re-tester logo. So, it was originally hydroed 2-62 and had a + which is typical. I'll have to think about what the "PST" means. Maybe someone who is more awake will chime in :wink:

Last edited:
Yes, 25" tall (a little more with a plastic boot) is the right size for a steel 72 :)

What's the most recent hydro date?

The steel 72s are popular for such things as shore diving because they weigh less than an AL80, hold almost as much air, and are neutral buoyancy (more or less, depending upon the tank) when empty. That means about seven or eight pounds you don't have to carry and wear. I overfill mine a tad so they are equal to a typical AL80 filled to 3000 psi. As long as they are not really rusty and pitted inside they seem to last just about forever. My oldest is a '62 and I expect my grandkids to be using it when I'm gone.

It doesn't say where you are located but I've heard rumors that some people in Florida and thereabouts overfill them by a lot for cave diving and they could be less likely to pass a hydro test, at least somewhere down the road. Mine were all bought in California and they always pass hydro. I bought two recently on Craig's List and they just got their second hydro test! They were made in the late 60s so they probably just sat there all that time.

Oops, OK. My mind was a million miles under the sea. The L in Circle is the re-tester logo. So, it was originally hydroed 2-62 and had a + which is typical. I'll have to think about what the "PST" means. Maybe someone who is more awake will chime in :wink:

too bad pst is out of the business of making pressed steel tanks anymore.

PST is the abbreviation for Pressed Steel Tank, was one of the major manufacturers of high-pressure steel cylinders. They ceased production in 2011.

Nearly all of the steel SCUBA cylinders in use in the USA through about 1990 or so were made by either PST, Norris, or Walter Kidde.

I don't know what "2 (L in circle) [68]" means. The diameter of a 72 is about 6.9".

The L inside a C device was the identifying mark of Cochran Labs, a hydro test facility used by PST. The 2 and 68 indicates that the initial hydro test was in February 1968.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom