traveling with wet suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Centrals, the 3 pounds was not due to moisture in your wetsuit. Either something else weighed more or the scale was inaccurate. 3 lbs of water is almost a half gallon.

Roll up a wetsuit in a dry beach towel for a minute to soak up some water. Reverse and do it again.

When traveling and washing clothing I use this technique but I also walk on the roll to squeeze out the water even more.

If I can lay wetsuits on the balcony of my hotel room in the sun, it drives in a few hours. Lacking that, we have dried gear by laying it out all over a motel room and putting the heat on high. Wait an hour, turn A/C on low. Repeat repeatedly. We tend to leave the room during this process, sightseeing, shopping, eating, drinking, whatever.

For Caribbean diving I find that all I need is a full body Skinsuit (for protection, no thermal qualities) and my 3mm armless Henderson neoprene vest.

Both are light and dry quite quickly, especially (as others suggested) if the A/C air current hits them.

I think that leaving a relatively dry climate and spending even a few days in a humid climate will add to a 50 lb. case. I always fill my case to 46-47 lbs knowing that on the return it will be on 50 lbs.
I never dive the day before departure. Drysuit gets to dry out, And I drink instead!! :)

Some airlines allow extra baggage allowance for those with scuba equipment packed in hold luggage. Sometimes just a matter of letting them know at check in others you may have to tell prior

I always carry my regs and computers in my carry on bags, this also helps to shed a few lbs from the gear bag. I mainly do it because I don't trust the baggage handlers.

I lay mine out in the sun for a few hours - does the trick. Remember to dry the outside then reverse to dry the inside. Two other tricks: 1) get a hand held digital scale - costs just a few bucks - to see where you are weight wise. 2) check in at the curb and hand the person a $5 tip before the weigh-in. I've gotten by with a few pounds over several times doing this.

I kind of do like mi000ke but I do not let sit in sun for more than 1 hour. Then either in shade if its windy and humidity is low or go inside and have the AC dry it out. In reality, I don't think it ever dries out in a day so many times, I put it in a plastic bag so that the rest of my stuff does not get wet.

Worse than the wetsuit drying are my boots. I think they take a month to dry. I put one of these PVC coupler in my boots to help vent:
upload_2017-9-9_19-50-56.png

HomeDepot for them.

Back
Top Bottom