Online dive log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also like DiveLog (see Skeptic14's link). I use their platform on my laptop, iPhone and iPad, and sync back and forth. My dive computer syncs nicely with the version on my laptop. I have tried one of the Android products that work with it, but did not like the interface at all. I much prefer the iOS interfaces.

I still have my paper log, but have not logged a dive on paper since 2002 (yes-- I just checked!). All electronic since then.

Whatever product you choose, be sure that it is easily exportable in a widely accessible format (eg an Excel spreadsheet).

Every electronic platform will eventually encounter an "end of life" where it is no longer supported, or the operating system on which it is based becomes obsolete, or both. Take this advice from one whose first electronic dive log was on a Palm Treo smartphone. I eventually had to MANUALLY transcribe my dive log when Palm died, the vendor disappeared along with every other Palm developer, and it was time to get a new phone. That log had no export feature. Lesson learned.

I also like DiveLog (see Skeptic14's link). I use their platform on my laptop, iPhone and iPad, and sync back and forth. My dive computer syncs nicely with the version on my laptop. I have tried one of the Android products that work with it, but did not like the interface at all. I much prefer the iOS interfaces.

I still have my paper log, but have not logged a dive on paper since 2002 (yes-- I just checked!). All electronic since then.

Whatever product you choose, be sure that it is easily exportable in a widely accessible format (eg an Excel spreadsheet).

Every electronic platform will eventually encounter an "end of life" where it is no longer supported, or the operating system on which it is based becomes obsolete, or both.

Fortunately, Subsurface is supported on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. And the source code is freely available so that anyone can download it and build it themselves or even port it to another platform. And it also supports exporting your dive log to common formats like XML or CSV (which can be imported into other apps).

But, I'm not too worried. I am confident that Windows, Mac OS, AND Linux are not all 3 going to go away in my lifetime. Or evolve so much that the current version of Subsurface won't run on any of them.

The only concern would be if all developers quit supporting it and I end up with a new computer down the road that can't be imported directly into Subsurface. But, as long as the dive computer manufacturer gives me a way to download and export to XML or CSV, I would still be able to import it into Subsurface. It would just take an extra step (or 2 or 3).

Fortunately, Subsurface is supported on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. And the source code is freely available so that anyone can download it and build it themselves or even port it to another platform. And it also supports exporting your dive log to common formats like XML or CSV (which can be imported into other apps).

But, I'm not too worried. I am confident that Windows, Mac OS, AND Linux are not all 3 going to go away in my lifetime. Or evolve so much that the current version of Subsurface won't run on any of them.

The only concern would be if all developers quit supporting it and I end up with a new computer down the road that can't be imported directly into Subsurface. But, as long as the dive computer manufacturer gives me a way to download and export to XML or CSV, I would still be able to import it into Subsurface. It would just take an extra step (or 2 or 3).

For sure.

It is rare for an OS to disappear. I just had one of the rare instances.

Eventually, developers will stop supporting a product. It is just a matter of time. As a result, being able to export in XLS, CSV, XML, etc. is the biggest thing for me. Subsurface, DiveLog and presumably others all do this well.

DiveLog DT for Mac/PC which also syncs with DiveLog for iOS. It downloads from computer via your cable or you can enter manually. They sync both ways between phone and computer and also can save/sync with the cloud. If you're a data geek like me, you can check out all the stats and data. You can also print the pages out like a traditional logbook.

I have been using Diving Log and have enjoyed the interface and options. It lets you sync directly to other devices. I mainly use the dropbox sync since I already use that program. I am starting to look into Divelogs (already mentioned earlier) as a backup since Diving Log can upload to it.

Down side is it is not free but it has a demo to test it out.

I was using the PADI app and scubaearth but got very frustrated at how buggy and poorly designed they were.

Wanting something simple, I recently I switched to Diviac and although I found a couple bugs it is far better. It also has an iPhone app that should let me tag new dive sites by GPS, works offline as well as online, and syncs between the phone and website. If memory serves it also has an export function.

A big thumbs down for deep blu's logging app. I had three dives this weekend that I entered offline and once I connected to WiFi the next day, they totally disappeared. Not I'm drafts, not uploaded, not in trash, just gone. It's also terrible at synching across devices and platforms. Plus, there isn't a way to export. It's a very pretty looking program and easy to use, but way too buggy. I hope their cosmiq computer functions better than the app!

I fourth the recommendation for DiveLog. It's not cheap, but the quality of analysis, the organization of your buddies, sites, trips, and the customization of the interface make it very good for a new diver.

You all inspired me to get my mobile Subsurface synced up. Woot!!! I had hit some glitch I don;t even remember, on a busy day. Went back in this morning and it worked first time. Nice! On my PC and on my phone. Can't beat that.

You all inspired me to get my mobile Subsurface synced up. Woot!!! I had hit some glitch I don;t even remember, on a busy day. Went back in this morning and it worked first time. Nice! On my PC and on my phone. Can't beat that.
Good to hear. Congrats.

Did you know that the mobile app now allows direct download from your dive computer? All you need is an adapter to connect the download cable to whichever type plug your phone has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom