Lifetime Free Dive log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsqdvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm trying to get a free lifetime membership to Diviac online dive log. If anyone decides to sign up for an account with them, please feel free to use the code below! It designates me as a "referrer". If anyone has other suggestions for a good online dive log, I'm happy to hear it. My old online dive log folded so i am starting over. I will still be using the Shearwater Cloud log from my recently purchased computer but always nice to have a backup. Learning from my mistakes and all that.

mkeidxh8vx

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Why not use software to log your dives such as MacDIve (macOS)?

Reactions: OTF
I'm not familiar with diviac or macdive but I've been mostly happy with subsurface. Thought about adding or requesting a few features/changes to it but haven't pursued it.

I'm trying to get a free lifetime membership to Diviac online dive log. If anyone decides to sign up for an account with them, please feel free to use the code below! It designates me as a "referrer". If anyone has other suggestions for a good online dive log, I'm happy to hear it. My old online dive log folded so i am starting over. I will still be using the Shearwater Cloud log from my recently purchased computer but always nice to have a backup. Learning from my mistakes and all that.

mkeidxh8vx
Diviac looks nice on the surface, but it also looks like a project that's dead in the water / has no one at the helm for quite a few years. I'd be wary of depending on it.

Diviac looks nice on the surface, but it also looks like a project that's dead in the water / has no one at the helm for quite a few years. I'd be wary of depending on it.
Any other suggestions? I’d love something that I can depend on that won’t get deleted again. I learned that lesson the hard way unfortunately with diverecord .com. I lost nearly 30 years of logged dives when they shut down.

For the longevity criteria, I could only recommend something that stores data locally so that you can back it up, in a format that could be imported into something else. I don't know anyone who could say with a straight face that any given cloud service, especially for something as niche as dive logs, will survive indefinitely.

Given that I would recommend Subsurface. It's open source, so the code and format it uses will likely survive for a long time, it stores the dive log on your computer, and it has a cloud service to assist with syncing between computer and phone, etc. Unfortunately, it also has a fairly unattractive user interface.

MacDive that was mentioned is nicer (on Mac and iOS), but there is a definitive question about longevity -- it hasn't received any updates for a long time, and the single developer who maintains it may simply have lost interest. Nonetheless, it still works and can export dive data in several formats, so it's easy to migrate to something else (e.g., Subsurface) if it becomes nonviable.

Allow me to introduce an app I've recently developed for Manage Dive Logs - Diver. The app currently supports importing from various platforms, including Garmin, Oceanic+, and UDDF, among others. I am committed to providing free and ongoing updates and maintenance for the app.

You can find it here: Diver - Scuba & Free Diving on the App Store

If you have a shearwater computer (or several such), you can sync all data between the shearwater(s), your phone, and your desktop or laptop computers as well as the shearwater cloud. I have come to view that as my official log, more so than any paper book or anything. I suppose in the unlikely event the shearwater cloud went away or lost my data, I have the log downloaded to all of my devices so the data is not lost. I can also create a unified log that way, since I have two Terics for open water, and then a Petrel and Nerd for CCR. The dive data from all of them ends up in the same electronic log. I'm curious if anyone sees any issues with this.

Any other suggestions? I’d love something that I can depend on that won’t get deleted again. I learned that lesson the hard way unfortunately with diverecord .com. I lost nearly 30 years of logged dives when they shut down.

If you're a Windows user, you can try my software Diving Log. It syncs with several online logbooks, so you have your dives online, but also keep them offline on your own hardware. Exports in other formats are also available.

Ive been using Diving Log for decades, Its easy to use and regularly gets updates. I regularly back up to my PC and the designer is great at responding to issues. Wouldnt use anything else.

Back
Top Bottom