Drysuit Neck Seals that roll/general fit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
So my Uncle was kind enough to gift me a used trilam drysuit and I have a few questions. Overall it is in great shape and the seals are new and uncut. The fit i'd say is overall pretty solid, he is a bit taller than me but I'm a bit fatter so it kind of works out. I can do all the normal moves (overhead tank/shoulder blade touch), squat down to put on fins etc.

The fabric part of the sleeves rest right around my wrist, the latex part of the seal extends past it further down the wrist and a bit further up past where the fabric sleeve ends.

There is a bit of extra material in the legs (attached rubber boots), but wouldn't call it excessive.

My biggest concern is the neck seal. While it is untrimmed and in good condition, when I put on the suit it likes to roll down. I have tried burping (is that the right term, when you squat down and vent the neck collar?) it and pushing it as far down as I can get it. It will hold for a second but the second I move my head around it rolls down again.

What type of material is the neck seal... Neoprene, latex or silicone?

The reason I ask, is that a neoprene seal is meant to have the top 2 inches or so rolled in so that the smooth side is against your neck.

If it's latex or silicone and assuming it's not too tight, it can likely just be pushed down. That might make it more snog though since seals are tapered... as are necks for the most part... That might require a little seal trim, but that's a whole other topic!

Trimming it some should help. If you plan to do it yourself, do a search on YouTube for the right method.

I use a new razor around a large PVC pipe.

What type of material is the neck seal... Neoprene, latex or silicone?

The reason I ask, is that a neoprene seal is meant to have the top 2 inches or so rolled in so that the smooth side is against your neck.
If it's latex or silicone and assuming it's not too tight, it can likely just be pushed down. That might make it more snog though since seals are tapered... as are necks for the most part... That might require a little seal trim, but that's a whole other topic!

The seal itself is either latex or silicone, I'm guessing latex just since they are cheaper right?

When you say pushed down, do you mean the whole neck seal? Cause right now I pull/push the entire ring as far down as I can manage. Right now it's tight but I can still breath (don't feel like it choking me out or anything). So you are suggesting I cut the neck seal? I thought that was less than desirable? I guess a leaky neck seal is even less desirable than a cut neck seal.

When it rolls, does it leak?

The seal itself is either latex or silicone, I'm guessing latex just since they are cheaper right?

When you say pushed down, do you mean the whole neck seal? Cause right now I pull/push the entire ring as far down as I can manage. Right now it's tight but I can still breath (don't feel like it choking me out or anything). So you are suggesting I cut the neck seal? I thought that was less than desirable? I guess a leaky neck seal is even less desirable than a cut neck seal.

Ya latex is a little more common... tends to be less shiny than silicone, and less stretchy (but stronger). The seals are tapered and meant to be trimmed. You might be surprised that it doesn't need to be super tight... Comfortably snug, and you're right, you really don't want it "choking" (Look up "Carotid Sinus Reflex... it's a real thing)

If you are unsure of the tightness,, have someone who is familiar with drysuits to have a look.

Trimming a latex seal is easy, but they do "give" a little when they're new. I have been known to leave mine stretched over a tank for a couple of days before a size it and trim.

If you do decide to trim it, get some help from someone who knows what they're doing. The cut needs to be smooth and clean, otherwise it will tear.

i have latex seas and mine rolls once in a while but Ive never had it leak

If you can get the neck seal streached over an AL 80 with some tape wraped around it they work great for cutting neck seals with a very sharp utility knife. Just follow the cut lines in a continuos cut.
It has been my experience that Silicone neck seals have a tendency to roll more than latex seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom