Octopus and squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any site, look for squid not too deep, between the shore and the drop-off wall.Same for octopus. We watched a pair of octopuses mating at Bari reef for several days in 2014.

I see them (squid) often at Corporal Meiss, also just before the drop-off. I love when you are starting your safety stop and look up and there they are to keep you entertained for a few minutes!

Jim

Which end of the Hooker are you referencing, north or south?

Thanks

Mark
On the south end... Near the top of the reef on the swim out or back...

Jim..

Any site, look for squid not too deep, between the shore and the drop-off wall.Same for octopus. We watched a pair of octopuses mating at Bari reef for several days in 2014.

You must have a Great SAC if you watched for several days... Or you had a snorkel?

Jim

I saw squid at Tolo during the day.

We've seen squid off Bari Reef - just off the dock to the north in pretty shallow water.

Also at Corporal Meiss which is sort of BelMar's house reef - accessible via the other Buddy Dive location,

I'm pretty sure off Habitat's dock on our way north to Cliff also. Some years ago though.

All late morning,

I saw squid at three dive sites during daytime dives on Bonaire in July 2017: Angel City, the Salt Pier, and Witches' Hut/Weber's Joy. I had been under the impression that squid were nocturnal, as I had only seen them once before during a night dive on Cozumel, but apparently it is normal for them to be out and about during the day on Bonaire; I never saw them at night. Also, at all three sites, the squid were in the shallow shelf between the reef and the shore, not out on the reef itself. Please check out the link to my Instagram account for numerous pictures of the squid, including the one that is my Scubaboard avatar. They make great subjects for photography, as I was able to approach them without scaring them away.

We saw one octopus during a daytime dive at the Salt Pier; he was sleeping under some coral. I have attached a photo of him to this post.

Attachments

• octopus_salt_pier.jpg
    octopus_salt_pier.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 78
We are going to be in Bonaire Dec 2-9, 2017 and would like to increase our chances of seeing octopi and squid. Any recommended sites, dive times or techniques improve our odds?

Thanks

We have been diving here for six days now and have just about given up pointing out squid to each other as we see them on almost every dive. Nearly all in about 5 or 6m at the top of the reef. Only seen one octopus so far (on Bari Reef) and that went into a hole as soon as we got close to it

Back
Top Bottom